Forum home Plants

How to grow lavender from posti plugs/mini plug plants

Caroline25Caroline25 Posts: 6

I have recently invested in a large number of Thompson & Morgan postiplug lavender plants (mini plug plants).  Obviously these will need some growing on (in the pop up green house) before can plant them out in the garden, however, I'm slightly concerned that by the time the plants are large and established enough to be planted out in the garden it may be late Summer/early Autumn and they will not cope well (I was of the understanding that the best time to plant out lavender was Spring).

Does anyone have any advice regarding planting these out?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,468

I had these the year before last. the posti plugs are tiny.  I potted them into a plug tray, each plug being about 1 inch cubed.  When the roots filled that I potted them into 7cm pots of gritty compost. I kept them in the pots all year, overwintered in a cold greenhouse, but you could put them in a cold frame or the pop up greenhouse. During the first winter they need to be kept on the dry side, but not allowed to dry out completely, or get the root ball frozen. if you have the Stoechas type with the butterfly tops, then they are less hardy, and will not stand too much cold in the first winter.

I then planted them out the following spring and they flowered that year

I had the munstead and hidcote type,although they were seedlings and not grown from cuttings, so I don't believe they should have been called that.

Named varieties have to be grown from cuttings, otherwise there is variation in the resultant plants.

• Caroline25Caroline25 Posts: 6

Thank you, that is very useful.  I had a feeling they were going to end up in the potting shed over Winter!  I have munstead and no butterfly topped varieties so hopefully they will be a little more forgiving for me.  Roll on next Spring!

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    I overwintered verbena bonariensis plugs using a south facing brick wall.
  • Flower Girl3Flower Girl3 Posts: 111

I've just ordered some garden ready plants, so I hope they will be big enough to go straight out, as the name suggests! lol

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,138

I agree with fidget, I have grown my own from seed so have lots of them, I will just pot them on until the rootball fills the pots, they will be kept in the greenhouse until next Spring, they cant be planted out in my garden as the soil is acid and always wet so will be for pots and tubs.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I have recently received over a hundred plants in mini postipots (I was thinking they would be larger). So I am now concerend that maybe I shouldn't plant them out yet, because they are too small.

But also do I take the plants out of the little 'pots', I assume that I do. However I am concerned that I may damage the tender new roots or the plants themselves if I do.

Do you have any advice for dealing with these?

Thanks

Nigel

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I also bought some mini posti-plugs from T&M. They have been potted on and on my windowsill for about a week now, and over the last few days, sitting on a sheltered shelf in the garden. I don't have a green house or cold frame. Can I pot them in to containers and leave them out or are they still too little? image

Thanks,

Laura.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

It's quite warm now and there is little chance of frost (but keep an ear on the forecast). Put them out during the day and bring them in at night and gradually get them used to being outside. Soon you'll be able to leave them outside for good.

Nice looking plants. T&M get a terrible slating on here but those look great.

Last edited: 17 May 2016 10:27:20

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,468

I had the offer a couple of years ago. I potted them on like yours and planted a bed  full. It knitted together to give a good display, after the first year. if any form flowers this year, pinch them off.