Baby Blue Tit

Out checking veg earlier tonight and found this wee thing in at my sweet peas.

sweet baby blue tit.

It took me 2 hours to get her back safely to her mum.

• Hi Edd, 

yeah I know but after half hour after putting him/her on branch on Oak tree, mum came, then they fluttered away making all sorts of tweets.

just hope wee thing made it ok. 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,535
    Best to go away and leave them alone
  • Hi Logan, yes I did that once I knew it wasn't going to fall off and into the mouth of my dog and watched from kitchen window. 

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 134

I had a baby great tit once inside my greenhouse, the parent was outside in a tree shouting at it. I managed to steer it out through the door and it flew away with the parent flying after it still shouting - I would love to know  what it was saying!

• Hi floralies,

same here...mum AND dad, i think were calling nonstop. i had gone into my veg plot to check up on them when all of a sudden from under sweetpeas, this little thing popped out...dogs obviously went straight in and thats the only reason i picked it up.

as i said earlier, to my relief....after a while of placing baby on branches of my oak (and falling off) then watching, mum did come down onto a tree stump and they seemed to natter for a bit then flew off. ????????

• Evening Tetley.

yes, i know others that have said to leave alone...(and most of the time that is the case). But seeing the wee thing incapable of doing or going anywhere, (maybe first flight), my heart went ahead of my head im afraid But it worked out well.

Tetley i am animal crazy (would rather them than adults if im honest). I have 3 guinea piggies and 3 cats and two dogs...alll rescued and now im entering my first year of "proper gardening" but i live in France and not so easy to find how to access wildlife centres here. ????

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i know what it's like when you have dogs around the baby birds, i have two ring neck doves that made their nest on my tv ariel it was precarious at the best of times, the two babies fell out and i had to put them in a tree using a  tea towel, i left them and went to sit on the sofa next thing the dog appears at the patio doors with it in his mouth wagging his tail image so i'm wary of when the blue tits fledge out of the nest and am watching carefully.

i just went out in the garden to find a starling looking in the nest box i shouted it away and i built the box with no perch as you are supposed to do but luckily i made the box pretty tall with the hole at the top so predators couldn't reach in and fish them out. 

• Hi sanjy67 ????

yeah its hard to know what to do for the best. We have an extension, not finished and for past 2/3 summers, the holes in the breezeblocks have been nests for the same 3 families of tits (And bats). This is the first year ive ever seen a baby on the ground but maybe as its my first year doing veg and they have been curious.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

are the ????? about the dog bit? it was because you had mentioned about the baby bird not falling into the mouth of your dog image

• I would also try to help any baby birds, after leaving them for so long to give the mother the chance to rescue the chick.    However, I have found that leaving them to their own devices can result in other hazards.......damned cats for starters.   Thankfully no cats where I am, however, sparrow hawks can do a lot of damage to other birds.

So I am with ClariceStarling on this one.....

• Hi Sajy67

sorry it was a typing error, was meant to be smiley faces but came out as question marks.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,569

Well done Clarice Mi Duck,nice one ,image

• Blue DragonBlue Dragon Posts: 74

It's a myth that your scent will cause the parents to leave the baby. Most birds have next to no sense of smell and there really isn't any risk of them smelling you on the babies. Chicks of all kinds of birds are regularly being handled and getting weighed and tagged in nests to keep an eye on the species. It really doesn't cause a risk. So don't worry about that : )

If they see you with the baby it might put them off purely because they know your around and if they go back to the baby it'll be putting themselves at risk, so that's really all you have to be careful of. Just try to be quick and get the baby to safety while the parents aren't looking. I've done it a few times myself, all with happy endings.

It's good to know they came back for baby. Both will be fine, I'm sure. Flying for the first time must be hard to work out : /

• Blue DragonBlue Dragon Posts: 74

X ) I agree, Kiwi's are defo one exception!