Anyone else get slightly "rare" bird visitors?

Since I moved the feeder pole to a spot in the garden where I can see it from the sofa, I've started to see birds that I haven't seen since childhood. There's two pairs of Goldfinches, a pair of Greenfinches and this morning, for some reason a Great Spotted Woodpecker feeding on the peanuts.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,912

It's lovely isn't it - especially early in the morning.  We get lots of  goldfinches and some greenfinches as well as dunnocks, blue tits, great tits, long tailed tits, chaffinches, blackbirds, house sparrows, starlings and a pair of robins who come and sit on our hands to take live mealworms.   The goldfinches sing from our big ash trees - it's great.

We have had great spotted woodpeckers and green woodpeckers too, but not so often.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The Dunnocks are hilarious, they have to be the most inquisitive looking little birds around. I've yet to see one that looks like it's head is screwed on straight.Tits and FInches with the exception of the greenfinches are numerous. We only seem to have one Robin this year, He's leaving it a bit late. Starlings only ever turn up after a torrential downpour. Presumably they are having at the worms and leatherjackets flushed to the surface.

I just went out to feed the robins (again) and watched a family of marauding magpies taking eggs from the collared doves' nest - again.  The doves put up a fight, but were overwhelmed - again.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AWBAWB Posts: 399

I regularly see a little egret, about once a week, by the side of the river.

And what a coincidence - I just heard that 'chick ... chick' call and looked out of the window to see a Gt Spotted Woodpecker feeding in the big ash tree image

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,827

We saw a tree creeper!

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,003

LilyP - we regularly had a tree creeper in the garden round the corner from where I am now - there were two mature trees there. I loved seeing him - mainly late winter - running up and down the trunk image

Greenfinches seem to be declining here - not seen any for years, even at my last house where we had hordes of wildlife, I only ever saw the odd one now and again.

Not in the garden but I saw a couple of wheatears on the mountain on Friday. Delightful  image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

I used to see a treecreeper in grounds of the office where I worked image

We hadn't seen greenfinches here for a couple of years, but there's at least a couple of pairs around this spring image

Wheatears - lovely - saw them on Skye image

I've just heard from a friend in Northern Germany who saw a Bluethroat (luscinia svecica) yesterday morning - he said the song was beautiful - apparently they sometimes appear in the spring in the East of England, so I shall keep my eyes (ad ears) open.

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Our Gr. Spotted Woodpeckers just love the peanut feeder, and they make real pigs of themselves on the homemade fat feeders - right by the computer window!

I saw a lesser Spotted Woodpecker for the first lime yesterday, (no red underpants), and a pair of Pied Wagtails have taken up residence somewhere close, they are not at all worried about me working in the garden, just keep flitting around me, even talking to me from the apex of the greenhouse while I was inside, which was a real shock!

• Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175

I had a new visitor in the garden last week, a tiny Robin Redbreast which I know is not unusual, but it has a metal ID ring on its leg.  Have never seen a wild bird with a ring in it, could it be part of a breeding program?