Strimmer recommendation

Hi,

can anyone recommend a fair price strimmer with a reliable cord feed

i just returned this one to b&q.

http://www.diy.com/departments/254-cc-petrol-grass-trimmer/173537_BQ.prd

It cut great and started well but the line kept getting tangled and wouldn't feed when you bumped it. They replaced the whole cord housing and bumper but the second one was no better, so I returned it.

does anyone know of one that doesn't cost the earth but with a reliable cord feed? 

Thanks

jason

• Jason CookJason Cook Posts: 133

Forgot to say, petrol or maybe battery, but not cord due to location.

thanks

• How much work do you need to do with the strimmer? That will govern what you choose.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,126

Usually the reason the bump feed doesnt work is that the cord is not wound on absolutely smooth, if you cross over on the winding, it wont feed out properly. We paid a lot of money for ours, but even then, last week it wouldnt bump out, only because of the way it had been rewound.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

Cord feeds waste cord, best to buy a strimmer that you pull out yourself unless of course you have the money to keep buying new cords....image

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 728

I've recently bought this one and it does what I need perfectly.

http://www.diy.com/departments/bosch-art-26-18-li-electric-cordless-li-ion-grass-trimmer/560530_BQ.prd

I've used it a lot and have only had to fit one new blade but I don't think it would cope with thick undergrowth.  The battery lasts 20 to 30 mins but I need a rest by then anyway although it isn't very heavy.  

Bonus, it uses the same battery as my Bosch hedge trimmer!

• '.....trimming and edging in small to medium sized gardens' is what the advert says, and adverts are usually optimistic. If you have any sort of even slightly rough work to do, you'll need to go up the specification range.

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 728

My garden is on the large size of medium and I also use it for a bit of rough ground and a deep ditch full of docks and nettles between the garden and the the farmer's field at the end.  But yes, it very much depends what Jason wants to do with it.

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

What is it for?

i returned a Flymo cordless strimmer, the cord feed did not work. And the cord wore down in seconds at pat edges. I bought a Bosch With plastic blades. But I find a Wolf Garten hand operated scissor like tool is better for light work, and shears for heavier stuff. 

• Billy GoatBilly Goat Posts: 51

Try the the Stihl range With the Autocut head