Coconut halves

So I buy fat-filled coconut halves for the garden Birds, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how to use them in the garden once emptied? I did consider breaking them and using as crocks, but I'd rather keep them the way they are. I've thought of engraving the inside and selling them as decorations, and my most mad idea was to make a sort of mobile with them (once I have a few) and somehow making it into an elaborate hanging planter, maybe for little Alpines. But with the insane winds we get here it would never work : (

Any thoughts?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,127

You could make your own fat ball mixture and refill them.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• debs20debs20 Posts: 39

fill em up with fats and seeds again...

left over fats from meat, sausage, bacon...lard, butter...any mix that will set I think.

Whilst its still liquid mix in crumbs, seeds etc..pop in fridge till its set...

OR...paint them and make wind chimes...not going to "tinkle" but might be interesting, may keep the birds off your veggie patch if you have one!

• debs20debs20 Posts: 39

Lyn...replied faster than I could type!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,127

No probs Debs

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Blue DragonBlue Dragon Posts: 74

I'm vegan, so no Animal fats in my house ; )

I have made my own fat cake mix for them before, using Beef suet (yep, I go all out... despite the smell), then various combos of seeds, smashed nuts, chopped raisins, meal worms, squished berries etc. But they've never seemed to like them much compared to the shop ones. Bit disheartening really, so I gave up with that : /

Fussy Bugg- X )

Wind chimes sounds good. I do have veg growing, but I've never had a problem with Birds. Would probs just make them as decoration.

• I collected three of them together, cleaned them and sunk them into my borders and filled with water. The birds then use them as water baths. They last about six months before I put them in the compost heap. By then I have another three ready to go back in.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783

Make candles for the garden?  Perhaps add some citronella oil to the wax mix?  

Utah, USA.
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Refilling is the first thing I thought of too.  You could also.audition to.join the cast of Spamalotimage.

Edd - lol.

• OldtykeOldtyke Posts: 155

I remember my Dad drilling holes in them, and having rope handles threaded through so they could be used as stilts.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Mine were cocoa tins Oldtykeimage.