Hollyhock seedlings stopped growing

Lena NLena N Posts: 189

About 4-6 weeks ago I pricked out my hollyhock seedlings and potted them into individual pots. I think they've only grown a few millimetres since or they may have stopped growing altogether. They get plenty of light where they are. Should I try feeding them? 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,257

The worse thing you could ever do is feed them at that size. Give then time, they are not supposed to be big plants until next year, so plenty of time to grow.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lena NLena N Posts: 189

Ok, thanks Lyn. I thought I'd read somewhere that you shouldn't. They were sown indoors at the end of February and I had hoped they might be big enough to plant outside by June but sadly I think not.  image 

Do you think I will need to overwinter them indoors? I'm running out of space for all my seedlings now as I live in a tiny bungalow image

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

They will be big enough to plant out in the summer.

Thanks Ceres. I'm a beginner and this is the first time I have grown anything from seed. At the risk of sounding stupid, how big should they be when I come to plant them out?

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

Found this picture online. It should give you some idea of how big the hollyhock should be when you plant it out. It needs to be robust and able to withstand everything that the weather and slugs can throw at it.

https://plantplot.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/hollyhocks-mar11.jpg

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Hi Hollie Hock. Do you think they're big enough to go outside now? I'm in Cornwall and it's quite mild here. I've been hardening off last year's buddleia and hydrangea cuttings by putting them under my garden table for a week before moving them to their final location and they seem to be just fine  image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Hi again everyone 

I'm in need of some advice please. My hollyhock seedlings have been outside since mid-May now but have not grown at all since about April time when I pricked them out and potted them individually.  I'm not sure what to do to help them grow. Should I pot them on again? I checked the roots and they don't reach the bottom of the pot yet. Shall I bring them back indoors? 

Thanks in advance image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,257

Mine were very slow growing, keep them in pots, bring in over winter and next spring they will be ok. I don't know why they are slower than other perennials.. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.