Forum home Tools and techniques

New shed - any tips?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,543

Thanks Busy.  I have some glass shelves I rescued from a shop that was closing down.  I thought they might be good for either the greenhouse or a new shed.  Haven't seen any resin shelves round here but they sound good.   Where did you get yours?

I used Curpinol on our first set of planks for raised beds in the veggie garden.  Easy to apply and lasted several years on untreated wood.  Thanks for reminding me.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,348

I live in France so we bought them from Brico-Depot, but I think the shop is part of B & Q. Here is a link to shelves for sheds and garages from B & Q. Ours can hold 50kg per shelf.

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/storage-shelving/utility-storage-shelving/shelving___cabinets/Global-4-Shelf-Unit-Black-9796509?icamp=recs

The glass ones could be good in the greenhouse as you could put plants on the lower shelves without depriving them of too much light.

Dordogne and Norfolk

I live in Belgium so it's all BRICO, Mr Bricolage or HUBO round here.  Don't like HUBO.    Those shelves look good - similar to the wooden version IKEA sell but better for sheds.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    edited September 2019

Here's our shed.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • jo4eyesjo4eyes North East Derbyshire Posts: 2,058

Obs, I use strong metal screw-in hooks along the inner top baton. I can hang, out of reach, bags of anything on the floor, but mice can climb!

I've also used 2 large brackets attached to the longest side baton so I can store long canes lengthways.

Big regret not getting electric installed, but garden security light covers door & have small 'push on' LED lights just inside, so I can still go down to it at night/dusk.

I also had the floor of my replacement made of tanalised timber because that part of the garden is damp- very this year. OH put up some guttering along the one long side round to a waterbutt behind. Works brilliantly. I did stain/treat the back of shed before the butt was installed. The wood came pretreated, but I didnt like the 'orange' colour we get, so Cuprinol fence & shed stain/preservative was used- boring brown. J.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Busy Lizzie, lovely shedimage

Thank you Artjak.

Dordogne and Norfolk

I like the colour Busy.  Very soft and subtle.

• Has anyone insulated a shed with those thick panels of silver covered material? We did ours and had plaster board put on top - but not sure how to put shelves up and not sure what to use to insulate the boarded floor - any suggestions??

• Forester_PeteForester_Pete DevonPosts: 151

My two sheds are very rough and ready, read cheap.. and built in situ for the odd shaped corners they occupy but on both I opted for corrugated transparant plastic roof. You do not really need a window then either. Never seen that in a retail shed though and will nothing for insulation being so thin.