Forum home The potting shed

Wind

Is it just my imagination?Everytime i get my garden looking something like along comes the wind and keeps on blowing as if it dosn't want to stop until its done some damage,Also it seems to me that we have had more windy days than usual.

• BiljeBilje Posts: 695
    I'm currently cursing the wind this week. I live in NE England and love to grow parrot type tulips in pots which stand on a lie wall. Normally a lovely bright show but mr wind came along and snapped nearly all their heads off....well there's always next year.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,126

I live in a particularly windy road so try to avoid growing anything delicate over 60cm tall unless it is ornamental grass which looks and sounds amazing in a gale.

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

Never known it this windy in the springimage its more like October!

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I have the feeling we have had more periods of extreme rain, and extreme wind in the last few years. Yesterday my coldframe was severely damaged, pak choi were damaged, french beans shredded. Last week a 5cm wide pole supporting raspberries snapped. I had recently replaced the wire, the previous stuff having snapped. Sigh. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,449

Brother is a potato farmer - he has fields of potatoes covered in strips of fleece 35 ft wide and as long as the field - the wind is blowing it all over the place -  it's more than they can do to hold it down - hopefully it'll get tangled in the hedgerows before it reaches the A14 - this is the second time this year this has happened - never happened before!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,567

I've got a huge tangle of wild rose, honeysuckle, bramble and blackthorn tipped over and into a pond. Probably formerly supported by a now dead elder. That will be a painful job to remove and shred 

• No it's not your imagination, that's climate change. It's not going to get any better any time soon.

Some interesting future scenarios facing a grower and his family.

http://www.macaulay.ac.uk/videos/cc/

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907

Ouch Nut.. what a tricky job.  They'll be soaking wet to boot.  Hopefully you can take some cuttings and make use of the windfall.  

Utah, USA.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,567

It will be ouch Blue Onion image. We spent the winter cutting and shredding. I'd hoped for a respite now. I'll fish them out, that's probably a couple of day's work at my speed, and wait for a dry day to shred

• Janet 4Janet 4 Posts: 63

Our garden is very exposed and windy. We're in the middle of town as well. My husband put some plastic netting with thick fine mesh to our 6' high metal framed gate to try and give some shelter to the back garden. I keep the shrubs cut down to 6' or less, with hardy perennials in between. Time has taught me to never grow anything delicate at all. Such a waste of money and heart ache!