Forum home Wildlife gardening

Please let me in!

One wet and bedraggled pheasant wants in to my greenhouse.   He's quite right, it is much more comfortable inside there.

This is the third different male we have had around in the last two weeks.   He is instantly recognisable with no neck ring.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,207

Aaaaaagh! The bane of my life. They eat EVERYTHING. imageimage

I'd happily give his neck a (w)ring.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,306

I once found a peacock in a greenhouse at work. I called the RSPCA and asked for advice. she asked if i was sure it was a peacock and not just a pheasant. I replied.

" darling , if it's a pheasant, it's in drag" 

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,207

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

And a big smile from me, too.   image  Very quick and clever, Pansyface and Hostafan.

• kleipieperkleipieper Posts: 563

imageimageimage

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,138

I see hosta's home from his wekend break!

I love the pheasants but there are really too many, they nest in the garden so I dont like disturbing them, they terrify my wimpish cat, they eat all the bird food and this year you cant put a pins point between them in the field.

I dont think they have the shoots like they used too.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Lyn, we would love to have some of your unwanted pheasants!   In the twelve years we have been here we have only seen one wild female!    We hatched some eggs under a broody hen, but they don't do well if enclosed - lots of feather pecking - so we let them go to free range.   And they free ranged away - the fox loved his easy meals!.   We found several sad (to us) piles of feathers close to home.

I shall feel lucky that so far I haven't seen any pheasant damage to my plants.

• Blue DragonBlue Dragon Posts: 74

I've been starting to get Pheasants too (which I'm so happy about), coming and eating the spilled birds seeds around the feeder. They make great hoovers that way, and they don't seem to bother with any of my plants... not even the peas.

I always feel guilty seeing the wildlife out there all wet and cold. Wish I could devise a parasol type thing for over the bird feeder, but I get such ridiculous winds here that whatever I think of would just be blown away or broken : /