Chimonanthus praecox

nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,198

I've been thinking today and there are questions. Chimonanthus praecox I grew from seed maybe 10 years ago, might be a bit more. It's 5 or 6 feet tall and quite bushy. Any ideas when I might expect a flower?

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

has it never flowered?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,198

nope, not a sign

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,986

This article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3297316/How-to-grow-wintersweet.html suggests that it mght take up to 7 years to flower, so yours is definitely being a little tardy - perhaps a dose of potash might give it the right idea? 

NB to self - another idea for the new bed in the front garden imageimage

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies

Thanks Dove, I'll have a strong word with it and a bit of potash. It can have the contents of the ashpan from the woodstove, or would that be too extreme?

I wonder if the 7 year estimate is from buying one at a GC when it would already be several years old. Mind you, mine is fairly substantial looking now and I hope for action very soon. 

At last, not many but it's a startimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,667

Congratulations on the Christmas birthimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

Thanks pansyfaceimage

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,326

I don't know that one but it does look very attractive.  What aspect and soil Nutcutlet ? I'm thinking of my new hedge planimage

The soil is very well drained and lacking in humous. It's now quite shady which it wasn't in the beginning. It may not be ideal, may be the reason I had to wait so longimage