Forum home Wildlife gardening

wren

I know this is going to sound absolutely ridiculous but please bear with me. Recently a friend passed away. Later that same day i saw a wren going in and out of one of the bird boxes. I'd not seen it before or since (in fact I'd never even seen a wren round here). I know there's superstitions about magpies but does anyone know of any regarding wrens? It would be lovely to think it was connected to my friend,that it was her way of saying goodbye......

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251

Wrens have been known to use bird boxes - in fact they often congregate in them in the winter to keep warm.

I don't know of any superstitions about wrens, but I like to think that at times of great emotion our senses are heightened and we notice things more than we do at other times - in a way this is the gift our lost loved ones give to us. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,228

Wrens, because they are so small and lose heat so rapidly, often roost together. Here is a little article about it

http://birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird-guide/wren.asp

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Just read that article, Pansyface.   Goodness me!   Can you imagine 96 little wrens all packed into one roost?

Janet, that's a lovely idea, to think of your friend and the wren together.   Every time you see a wren you will think of her.

• Janet  2Janet 2 Posts: 114
    Many thanks everyone x. Years ago she gave me a root of dicentra, it's flowering at the moment so that's nice