Forum home Wildlife gardening

Lawn bees

I have bees in my lawn! They look a little like honey bees, but smaller and redder, so I guess they are mason bees. My dog has been trying to dig them out, and wondering what she was doing I watched a hole for a while. Along came a bee and it walked down into a little tunnel. There are at least 5 individual holes, I guess one per bee.

My problem is the lawn also has lots of moss, and was due for a 'weed and feed' treatment. Does anyone know if this will affect the bees? They have already survived at least two mowings.

Sarah

• It might, but it's nigh on impossible to say. Those eggs that are being laid will have hatched in a few weeks or so. Could you give the lawn a good raking to get most of the moss out now and open up the soil for the grass roots now and leave the feeding for a few weeks?

• seacrowsseacrows Posts: 221

I think I'll just have to live with some moss, I don't know where all the tunnels are, and I don't want to collapse any of them by raking over them. I can spot apply moss killer to some of the worst bits.

They are fascinating to watch, in and out of each tunnel every ten minutes or so.

Sarah

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,185
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.