Ideas for a end of garden mound?

Hi

We have a 200ft garden which is lawned. At the end of the garden is what can only be described as a dumping ground for years of grass cuttings, garden waste, hardcore and anything else you can dump. It's overrun with brambles, weeds, trees and woody shrubs. I've started digging the brambles and rubbish out, but have no idea what to do with the soil. It's still like a mound of old dirt, that isn't very stable. Ideally I need to put a fence up at the back but have no idea what to do with the soil...I.e flatten it, keep a slope and plant stuff etc.

Any ideas for a novice but hardworking gardener woul be much appreciated! 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,859

Do you live in the country, the suburbs, the centre of a city?

I can't see what's wrong with just leaving it alone for the wildlife to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet. With 200 feet you aren't going to miss it are you and think of the benefit of an oasis like that.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783

I'm with pansyface.. give it over to wildlife.

Put a pretty fence in front of the pile (keep it higher up at the bottom, so hedgehogs can get under), and keep chucking cut branches, non-seeding weeds, leave, etc behind the fence for wildlife to live in.  You have your fence, and wildlife has a happy place to live.  

Utah, USA.
  • Stu HartStu Hart Posts: 5

Hi, thanks for everyone's replies. We live in the suburbs just outside of London. We have been digging out the huge brambles as they were getting dangerous when our family and friends kids visited. The weeds etc were totally out of control and impacting a nearby apple tree, so we thought it was best to clear and make something nice of it. So far I have dug out about half of the rubbish and lots of random concrete slabs (basically the front part of the slope).

I'm really looking for some inspirational ideas of what we can do with it. One option was to flatten it and plant some new shrubs, trees etc or possibly leave it as a mini mound and plant things in it.

Some pics of the area are below as well as pics of our whole garden. The fourth pic is what we have dug out of the area so far! Basically we have been digging up all of the rubbish from when we moved in!

Thanks

Stu

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783

Ack.. so much grass.  image

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.  Wisley has some areas that are long narrow walled in areas like that. If you're in that neck of the woods, take a look around.

Utah, USA.
  • bazabaza Posts: 602

get some tatties inimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,859

Looks to me as if there's an old shed or something buried under there. Could be several skips' worth of rubbish to cart away. I'd put a fence up, as Blue Onion said, and forget about it. Start again from, literally, a level playing field.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • maureen60maureen60 Posts: 193

When it's cleared, what about putting in some ferns, create a stumpers, make use of all old twigs and branches.

or install a pond, great for wildlife.

• AshdaleAshdale Posts: 149

What about putting in some fruit trees or soft fruit bushes?

• Stu HartStu Hart Posts: 5

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what is a stumper? Is that where you make a visual out of old trees and twigs? Wouldn't this open it up to be overgrown by brambles, weeds etc. again?

I quite like the idea of fruit trees as I have a couple of apple trees already. Would it be best to flatten it first? 

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions so far.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,301

Hi Stu. Haven't fully read all the posts so apologies if I've missed anything. We had a similar issue at my last house with a corner of the front garden next to the lawn. We had a lot of other priorities but it was an eyesore so we cleared the rubbish and planted some shrubs - rhodies mainly as they're happy here. There was only a thin layer of soil over the dumped rubble etc so we chose things that would survive after a good start with extra compost and some blood, fish and bone added. It will have blended in quite well to the surrounding hedge and trees by now I think. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....