Forum home Problem solving

Non green fingered newbie

Hi everyone, I thought I'd take a couple of minutes to say hello and hopefully get some help as and when it's needed. (and it will be needed, that's for sure). I've just moved into a property and the old boy who lived here before has been poorly for a long time and therefore let the huge back garden fall into disarray. I have around 80ft x 18ft of 'lawn' area and I use the term 'lawn' loosely as it's mainly weeds and a hell of a load of ivy! I've got trees to deal with (one of which is already down. And that's just one side... The other side has concrete sub bases where I need to lay a patio..... I could go on and on. I would upload pictures but I have no idea how. So help for now and hope to get to know some of you very very soon. Wayne

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

hi wayne, sounds like you have a task on your hands! you can't upload photos from a smartphone but when you are typing your posts you will see a little green tree next to the quotation marks, click that and follow instructions, i personally have trouble doing it that way as i use a chromebook, so i open my photos page and have this one open then i click on my photo and drag it across to this tab and it opens this page and i drop it in the reply box where i am typing, hope this helps image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,312

Hi Wayne - that sounds like a garden full of potential you have there - we had similar when we moved here - as Pauline says, take your time - it'll all happen - looking forward to seeing your pics image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AshdaleAshdale Posts: 149

Hi Wayne, I can sympathise - I have a project garden myself.  It takes a while - we have been in 5 years - but making progress.  good luck.

• GillianBCGillianBC Posts: 121

Best of luck, Wayne.  Sounds like an exciting adventure albeit hard work.  It can be immensely satisfying though.  I had a green lawn surrounded by a 3 sided box of leylandii originally and it's very different now.  It's sometimes easy to get daunted when the whole lot needs redoing, but for me, I find that if I concentrate on one small area at a time and get that looking really good, my enthusiasm doesn't dwindle.  

• Hey everyone, thank you for your replies.

I'll try uploading some photos for you all tonight and hopefully somebody can jump in and offer some hints and tips I might not be aware of image

Thanks again image
  • TesniTesni Posts: 159

Good luck Wayne, look forward to seeing the pics.

Finally figured this out....this is what i have so far.

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,080

Hi Wayne

Welcone to the site and the wonderful world of gardening. Looking at your  photos you will possibly have a lot of work to do but that depends on what you want in establishing a gsrden 

It has great potential to be a lovely garden from the photos and som of the trees will give you some mature height..I would possibly get some ideas from garden designers and landscapers ad their ideas can be invaluable in the first instance 

Good luck  with the project and if possible photo this site with the finished garden when that happens 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520

Hi Wayne. A great project for you and I'd agree with PPots - keep everything tidy, remove rubbish and anything invasive or unwanted and then take a bit of time to decide what you want and what you don't want for your garden.

My advice is always the same - make a list of your likes and dislikes whether that's colours, styles, planting or hard landscaping materials. Check what kind of soil you have and where the sun is at various times of day, including anything nearby which will affect light -  garages, overhanging trees etc. Then make a list of your requirements - dining/seating areas, play area for children if you have them, veg plot if you'd like that, storage/ work area and so on. When you've done that, measure your plot as well as you can and draw up a plan which you can then work out ideas on. Make a few copies as that makes it easier when you change your mind - which you will!  Doesn't have to be fancy but make sure anything you draw is to scale. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....