shrub suggestions

Hi all,

I will have a lovely garden, although I hate the thing just now after digging up stumps and rubble all weekend...

I am about to plant a box hedge around the boundary and then will start planting some shrubs and then herbacious plants. I have a long list of shrubs to add, but thought I'd ask if there is one particular one that I should have.

I want to attract birds, bees and bufferflies. I want to keep it  fairly low1-1.5m.

Many thanks,

Bill

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

I would go for lavenders, easy maintenance and the bees will love them.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

You need to think about the height you want them to grow, colours, where your sun/shade is. then sit down with some garden catalogues/books and browse and decide what would suit you. There are loads of shrubs that attarct the bisrd and the bees.

Bjay

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,045

Sedums and eryngiums are essential and I saw on a post recently that there are small buddleias available.

• If you want to attract wildlife it is good to have something in flower throughout the  year. Shrubs which flower, produce berries and cover for wildlife tick more boxes and therefore should, imo be given priority. However plant for yourself too....something that is lovely to look at, smell etc. Some I wouldn't be without for me and wildlife - Lonicera fragrantissima has just started flowering, I saw a bee on it today and it smells wonderful, gives cover in summer and I grow a clematis through it in the summer; Berberis. lots of different types but i love  Berberis thunbergii f. atropurpurea 'Atropurpurea Nana' AGM - flowers and berries; Pyracantha - flowers, berries and cover - great grown up against a wall.

Just for me (not specifically for wildlife) Camellia, Nandina domestica, Callicarpa bodinieri var.giraldii ‘Profusion’ .... I could go on but at this time of year I am so glad of my winter jasmine, mahonia, clematis 'freckles' and honeysuckle to lift my spirits and am watching for snowdrops, daffs, primroses to follow on.... and the days are getting longer.

Enjoy your planning and I hope you will soon be enjoying the fruits of your labours.    image

• so I am looking and looking...

The buddleja buzz and glue chip are sold as plugs. When is a good time to plant a plug? Is it successful straight in ground? What is a plug anyway?

There are many shrubs in 9cm pots. Will that mean I have to wait years for it to grow more than a stick with a leaf on it?

There are many of my selected shrubs in the "sale" at the garden Centre Group. Are these a respectable place to get things from? I was looking at my local nursey and also the RHS website.

Mant thanks,

Bill

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

Hi Bill, 

Can you show us some pics as you go, I think you did post one before of the bare plot, would be good to see how its coming along.