Forum home Problem solving

Acser

I have a acer plan and there is some sort of fungus on the stems can any body tell me what it is please and how to treat

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,150

Can't see it clearly Peter. Any tree with fungus growing on it is in trouble. What does the top of the tree look like? Is it leafing up?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Peter 13Peter 13 Posts: 4

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,150

Niceimage

As far as I know there are no treatments for this. I fear it may not have much of a future, once you can see fungal growthlike that there is rot inside the trunk. It's not honey fungus so no drastic action required.

I hope someone else will bring you better news

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • kleipieperkleipieper Posts: 563

Can't  see it clearly from the pictures and I'm certainly not an expert, but could it be a scale insect infestation, like for instance Horse Chestnut scale? I seem to remember that that sometimes affects maples as well. No idea how to treat it though.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,391

I also think it's likely scale insect, probably Brown Scale.  RHS control advice here:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=455

With a reasonably small tree like that I would rub them off by hand.  At this time of the year, underneath each one will be hundreds of eggs (that's the white waxy stuff peeping out at one end of each scale.)  In about June these will hatch and run all over the tree, so tackle it now.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.