Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Too late to plant Tulip/Daff bulbs?

LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,496

Ive got quite a few Tulip & Daffodil bulbs left over that I didnt get around to planting last Autumn. They have been stored indoors in a cardboard box, and are in good condition.

Is it too late to plant them out into tubs? If so, will they keep till this Autumn?

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

They will not keep-they are not like seeds-they will just dry up and rot away

You may as well pant them now and see what you get-but they will be late flowering

• is late to plant them for flowering,plant for next year.

flowering rose wrote (see)

is late to plant them for flowering,plant for next year.

Eh???image-bulbs will not keep!!-they need to go in the ground-not sure what you mean?

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,496

Ok, so I could plant them into pots now, and they will grow but not flower. But they may flower next year?

They will probably flower this year-the embryo flower is already in the bulb.

• Sue HSue H Posts: 415
    Put them in. Nothing to loose, everything to gain! Worth a try.
  • Hi

Best time to plant tulips is December, so they will flower great this year is you can plant them now!  Only a week into January so go for it!

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

I have found bulbs that have been overlooked in the past.  Plant them - now!  They will flower, albeit a bit later than it says on the packet.  But they should perform for the spring season - but will wither if you keep them unplanted.

Best advice after flowering is to dead-head them and then to give them a good foliar feed and allow the foliage to die down naturally.  Then lift and dry the bulbs (if you can't leave them where they are) and remember to plant them at a more appropriate time in the autumn!

Oh, and if you lift them and store for next season - it's quite a good idea to remove dried foliage and pop the bulbs into old tights/stockings and hang them up somewhere cool - the air can circulate, and they're out of the way in a cool garage, for example.  And don't forget to label them.  (If you can't remember the name, then label them as "pink/med. height/April" for example).  You may think you'll remember what they were.  But then, you may have a better memory than I have . . . . . image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd expect flowers this year as long as they get planted. Being of a thrifty (mean?) nature I've often bought bulbs for next to nothing long after they should have been planted. They may flower a bit late but they often do with our interesting weather. Get them in there before the ground freezes. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

Tulips in particular will be fine. Daffs may not do so well, but should bulk up nicely for the following spring, ie 014.

I noticed a lot of half price bulbs at a GC this last week- am still thinking..... image J.