Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wildlife driven out of my garden.

I see cats fleetingly in my garden ... I have two Lancashire Heelers!  

We have bats, owls, birds (including a song thrush that is driving hubby mad at the moment with its relentless calling and pheasant on the back field), squirrels, a rat under the shed (not sure what to do about that as I want to have a veg plot) and I plan a wildlife pond at some point so frogs 'n stuff are on the agenda.  

We've never seen a fox despite setting up a spycam fixed to a tree where we saw the rat and a neighbour's tabby along with muntjacs on the back field.  There is also a Rookery in next door but one's trees.  So the cat seems like smallfry in the scheme of things (along with my dogs!) image

Therefore I have nothing to offer as a cat deterrent other than dogs but dogs do not deter squirrels or rats! image

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    I'm having this problem

As a cat lover , living in a pet free house, I decided to go for a wild garden. Got frogs and toads, loads of birds.

And now 4 neighbouring cats trying to hunt my fledged blackbirds ....

I can't have cats due to restrictions.

But it seems other peoples cats can have me!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

Mike, get yourself down to Battersea dogs home, and get a Jack Russell.

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Tetley,

All pets apart from my tiny fish .
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,266
    fidgetbones wrote (see)

Mike, get yourself down to Battersea dogs home, and get a Jack Russell.

Great idea Fidget!  Even an older more sedate Jack Russell will see the cats off the property and exercise him/herself in the process image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 479

I had a West Highland White, I didn't have any problems with cats with her around. Even when she lost her sight she was still on guard. Now I have to chase them away when I see them.

• frensclanfrensclan Posts: 119

I sympathise Mike. I too suffer from neighbours cats!!! The lady in question assures me that cats do NOT mess in other peoples gardens only in their own. I beg to differ. Like you my garden stinks of cat pee and I have had to start wearing gloves when I garden as I was fed up of tangling with their mess. As I predominately vegie garden they are really attracted to  my beds and are constantly scratching up my seeds and seedlings.

I have 3 sonic cat things strategically placed and my other half charges out and shouts at them if we see them but have found no really reliable way to keep them out of the garden. A dog is not an option. If it was a dog causing this sort of disruption it would be considered unacceptable so why do people think it is ok for a cat.

Rant over. Does anyone out there have any good tips  (apart fro the dog ownership one) for discouraging unwanted feline visitors?

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

How about a massive water pistol ?  Cats don't like water and you could have so much fun, and no harm comes to the cats other than a bit of a shock, and they might find somewhere else to go.

I do feel bad for you Mike, I would be so sad if all our birds etc disappeared too.  Hope you find a solution soon. 

What about Lion dung ?  You can buy it at garden centres, have no clue if that works though.