Dividing Hellebores

bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 199
I'm not sure I can post a photo from my phone, but I have a large and thriving hybrid hellebore that I've had for just over two years. It has to be my favourite plant in the garden, but I don't have the space for it to expand forever. The leaves appear to be evergreen, they don't die down. Would you divide it, and if so when? Thanks!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,932

Never tried it myself, but this chap seems to know what he is talking about

http://www.grahamrice.com/hellebore/propagation/division.html

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 917

@Verdun

"mpc" what is it?

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 3,662
    Multi purpose compost image
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 917

Thanks, Topbird. I expect this abbreviation is well-known by British gardeners, but I'd never come across it.image

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 199

Thanks for the tips! If you say September is best Verdun, would you leave it 'til this coming one or give it another year? I'm not desperate to do it, just starting to think. It's obviously in an ideal location, it's several times its original size. As you can see it's a substantial plant, I'm guessing it was a few years old when I bought it. It won't be that long before its size is causing issuies.

• StillLearningStillLearning Posts: 183

Hi Verdun, mine have got pretty large and like them that way, will it do harm if I never divide them?

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Everything Verdun has advised is exactly as I have done. I had to move my three yr old hellebore so decided to chop it up at the same time. They are now springing into growth apart from one unlucky piece knocked by big feet and eaten by slugs image