Forum home Talkback

Nursery Beds

Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907

My windowsills are full.. but I have yet to start any of my perennial flower seeds.  I was thinking of sowing them between where the squash, watermelon, and pumpkins will go in the raised bed eventually.. to create a bit of a temporary nursery.  I expect to keep them there until they are three or four inches high, then move them out into the boarders.  Anyone have experience with this?  Obviously some will dislike the root disturbance, but I plan to take a good chunk of soil with each one as I dig it out.  Suggestions?  

Individual pots/cells will dry out too quickly, so I can't just sow in those and leave them outdoors.  Currently in Utah a very dry sunny 25C during the day and 3C at night on average over the next ten days.  I'll put a moveable coldframe over them at night as needed.. but most of my established perennials are up and growing away happily already.  

Utah, USA.

• If the seeds are big enough individuals, you could pot them into 6 or 8cm pots and plant the pots into the beds to keep them out of the way. Would make them a bit easier to lift with a lot less root disturbance?

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907

That's true, and they would dry our less quickly being of that sized and buried.   There are a varity that I plan to start, most very tiny.. but they could be grown in clumps.  

Utah, USA.