Forum home The potting shed

Do people freeze produce?

I am tempted to freeze some produce this year, but the fridge freezer has limited space, and I would need to buy a new freezer for the garage. Anyone any advice on garage based freezers/ (I know some freezers are not designed to work in a cold garage, but some are.) There is such a range in price. I have a nice Bosch fridge freezer in the kitchen, but not sure I need to pay so much for a separate freezer.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907

Have you checked Ebay and those other online sites where you can pick up a used one?  Or maybe there is a shop near to you that sells second-hand refurbished ones?  That way you're not spending a huge load of money, and a freezer is having a second life.  There is also a huge range of prices for new ones depending on size.  Get the smallest one that fits your needs, as you want it filled to the top if at all possible.  Even use frozen jugs of water, as you remove and use your produce.  And once you begin to get low on things, move the last few items into your normal freezer and unplug the outdoor one until you're ready to use it again in the fall.  Just be sure to leave the door open an inch or two to allow air to circulate, after it's been defrosted and cleaned.  

Utah, USA.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,361

Check that they will work in temps down to -10C.  I hadf a Hotpoint fridge-freezer in the garage and when the temperature in the garage dropped below about 4C the freezer stopped working.  This is because the ambient temperature is lower than the temperature in the fridge which is where the thermostat is.

After considerable research I replaced it with a Beko which will work in temperatures of down to -10C.  I'd always thought this to be an economy brand but I must say we are very impressed with the one we have.  It's 4 years old and has continued to work in low ambient temperatures.

If I underrstand things correctly the problem with the ambient temperature being too low doesn't apply to chest freezers.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Dove is correct about ambient temperature. Most upright freezers are manufactured   for domestic (indoor) use. We have a BEKO class A frost free freezer in our garage that works well, saying that our  garage is attached to the house is insulated and has a traditional felt lined roof, so it doesn't drop to anything like -10C. 

I don't know about chest freezers bought in the UK but in very cold countries people do have them in sheds and garages.

Hope that helps. 

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Thanks all. I will take a look at Beko, I also thought it was a budget brand, but it sounds worth looking at.