Forum home The potting shed

Seeds are up

• I have kept seeds back as well and will note down what happens as time goes on. I have planted a couple of Larkspur but kept the rest ready for a later sowing if they dont like the greenhouse just now. Everything else is doing great. My dad sent me a list of stuff I should be sowing now which has made me smile image

Days are starting to stretch (15 mins but its a start) which is great news image For my seeds and my Bandit lol. No snow so all good here, even though there is snow all around our little village lol.

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,094

Moved my seedlings to colder window sill so not get too long and weedy. I will have a go at sowing some Calendulas soonish but as dirt outside is frozen up - frost is around here - so have to wait to get some compost in for pots indoors, I might have one pot left inside I can use. On my pack it says sow outside in March - nothing about sowing indoors but I will have a go.

Hampshire Gardener
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Yes, seeds are up. First of the chilled ones just breaking the surface. Angelica gigas.

That's good nutcutlet that your seeds are up they look interesting plants looked them up. More keep coming up of mine

How many different seeds have you sown?

I have sown 4 different types indoors still waiting for some to come out of compost yet but did not sow them too long ago.

Hampshire Gardener

Hi gardengirl, I should think there are about 30 pots out there. Lots of new aquilegias, some aconitums, corydalis, daphnes, other angelicas. They're certainly getting a chilling now. I shall check them every day. I get quite excited when they start germinating. Have to get OH out to look. 

That sounds a good lot of seeds you have sown, getting a chill now definitely all stuff in garden in the snow here. I keep turning my seedlings as keep facing the light from the window and some more keep coming up. I guess seeds decide when they want to appear. So they don't all pop up at once.

Hampshire Gardener
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Hi hollie hock. Some of the seeds started outside in autumn and are now in the cold greenhouse. Angelica gigas has germinated from this lot. Another batch was sown in the greenhouse at the new year, I expect germination when this cold spell is over. 

I didn't expect the angelica to germinate yet, I think it will be Ok but if we're forecast severe cold I might put it in the workshop or somewhere not too warm. It won't be bothered by a bit of a frost though.

Today the seeds from the Hardy Plant Society came. Have to look through them tomorrow and sort them into chill and wait til spring.

Hi Gardengirl, what I do find amazing is that a whole potful will germinate over night. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Some of the corydalis are lovely, cheilanthifolia I like and ochroleuca. They seed around the garden. What they really like is to be sown fresh. I can't keep those lovely blue ones though. Even when people give me large lumps from their garden,they last a year or so then dwindle away. When I collect my own seeds I sow them straight away, germination can be very quick like that. This won't apply to tender plants but I don't grow any. I think traditional biennial sowing advice is to sow when this years plant is flowering but that would mean either buying more seed or storing it for nearly a year. Doesn't sound like natures way. Sow it when it drops I reckon.