Forum home The potting shed

Seeds are up

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,094

Hello Hollie hock seeds are up are -,1 x Liatris - purple they take a few years to flower so have to grow on for a while yet and Honesty x3 as 1 more came out today that's good.

It is raining like mad here and has been all night in Southampton and even had large bang of thunder this morning.

Went out yesterday and fed the birds and squirrels so that's OK for now -  will wait to see if it stops raining before going out today.

lisa69 wrote (see)

I did read that larkspur need to be 'chilled' to germinate so sowing ahoy image

I have those seeds I did not know they needed a chill so is it good to sow outside then? when not raining I guess

Will try and sow white Ragged Robin today and Snap Dragons indoors got some pots with compost in already.

Hampshire Gardener
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Maybe the reason I don't have much luck with larkspur is because I haven't got them on my chill list.

Been up and out now. Birds happy. Nothing germinated. I shall be watching hard after this cold spell. This will be the first year I've had them in the cold greenhouse rather than outside. They'll get the cold but not the weathering. Time will tell. They won't be a home for worms now they're not on the ground.

It's lovely out there but so wet still I'm not going on the garden. If we do get some hard frosts and the ground freezes I shall take the opportunity to cut down some old growth

I can't find the larkspur seeds may be dont have them may of been thinking of stock seeds or delphinium seeds that I have.

2 more seeds are up of Liatris purple

Have sown white ragged robin, white snap dragons and some erygnium sea holly have to wait for a bit for them to grow all indoors. Still raining here

Hampshire Gardener
  • I may have some larkspur spare after i have sown mine from a seed swap. Will let you know image
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • So have you guys sown Calendula just now aswell?

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,190

My success rate for anything sown in January or February is zeroimage Plants germinate but once  out of the heated propagator they keel over and die, it's clearly to cold for them in the spare bedroom but short of putting on the central heating 24hr 7 I usually wait until at least March before sowing anything.

I've geraniums doing well in the kitchen though (they haven't died yet) and plan to sow aubergines in February this yearimage. Any help with keeping stuff alive would be most helpful. I've antirrhinum which can be sown nowimage   

Hey Sam I have managed to find my seeds of Larkspur - (the seven dwarfs) ones it's a new pack got miss placed but I have just found them. Few more seedlings of both Liatris purple and honesty have come up that's good

I normally sow a few seeds but most of them wait until March when my plastic greenhouse goes up.

Do I sow seeds of Larkspur in April like on the pack says outside or now?

Hampshire Gardener
  • lisa69lisa69 Posts: 119

Hi Gardengirl

This is just one of the links I read about Larkspur (Ican't find the one that says to put the seeds in the fridge lol) but have a look at this article, hope it helps image

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/plantannuals

• The user and all related content has been deleted.