Forum home The potting shed

Seeds are up

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Sit indoors and look out the window I guessimage-as I said whatever works for you.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The way I sed it is...how did the authors know other than experiment. A gardening book is like a recipe. You add your own twist and try something different.
  • LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    Tomatoes started now are fine, as long as you are prepared to keep them away from frosts indoors for quite a while. Ones planted later will catch up though, neither is better than the other.

It depends on what makes you happy, starting tommies off now is normally the start of my gardening year. And yes, it makes me happy, so that's what I do.
  • Perhaps it should be remembered that apart from warmth, tomato seedlings need around 14 hours of light each day. This can be provided artificially in the form of 'Grow Lights' .....making it ridiculously uneconomic.

• I satarted the thread to let the folks that have been seed swapping with me on another thread that some seeds that I had planted were up. We have all been having some joy at the fact the new year has turned and that spring was almost here. I didnt mean to create anything like bad feelings between others. I am grateful for peoples opinions and am the kind of gardener that trial and error is how I learn. I like thinking out the box and trying things a little different. Thanks all for your views. I can see what everyone is saying and have given me alot to think about. I have noted everything down and will continue my wee experiment to see what outcome arrives. It may work it may not. Next year I will use this years work as research to see what I can do image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Hi sam. When responses are posted, the tone that is perceived may not be as the writer intended. Much meaning comes from facial expression and verbal tone, lacking in the written word. I always take this into account when a response seems on the sharp/dismissive side. 

• nutcutlet wrote (see)

Hi sam. When responses are posted, the tone that is perceived may not be as the writer intended. Much meaning comes from facial expression and verbal tone, lacking in the written word. I always take this into account when a response seems on the sharp/dismissive side. 

Absolutely true and eloquently put! image

• This is true and I must confess, after I had put it and read it back I thought that it sounded a bit mean. I tried to work out how to adjust it or even delete it and couldnt so my apologies. Im still learning on the forum. Ooops. image Feel a bit sheepish now

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Sam

It is all about learning-most of the "gardeners" know what works and what doesn't-and they know that because they have made all the mistakes-and are offering their advice based on their mistakes and experience- whether you want to listen to that is of course up to you-and others