Forum home The potting shed

Seeds are up

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    hollie hock wrote (see)

nutcutlet, the angelica and the corydalis look like lovely plants. Do you think that most biennuals seed benefit from a chill? Been reading stuff on line and got me thinking

Hollie -no they don't the chill effect is to break the dormancy-only applies to few seeds-so the run of the mill biennials like wallflowers sweet Williams are usually sown as normal-around April-when the current ones are flowering is a good reminder

I am surprised you are sowing wallflowers in Januaryimageimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thats great ladies image I have a couple of lemonbalm doin well. Mugwort doin grand and true leaves appearing and same with toms. Still waiting for my aquilegia seeds to wake up but it says it can take upto 30 days and only sowed them on the 3rd.
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,094

My seeds of white snap dragon and white ragged robin are up 2 of each that is good they have just started to show themselves.

Anyone else got more seeds coming up?

Hampshire Gardener
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Yes, another of the Angelica gigas appeared today. When this cold is over, any day now, I expect a mass germination.

I shall also put all the cuttings back outside and any of the 'iffy' plants before they get softened up in the greenhouse. I can always bring them in again if very cold comes back. It'll be the closest I've been to any gardening for some time. 

• I'm chomping at the bit to get started with sowing some seeds. Bort sum today when I was in town, probably too soon but will give it a go. My indoor cuttings are doing very well so will try putting the seeds next to them.

Was very hard when I was in the shops, so many bulbs, seeds, plants....wanted to buy the lot.

Also bort my GW mag today, drooled over it and every page was I wish, I wish I wish had a garden like that . But I haven't , so back to reality and my lovely little plot.

Been very cold here today.

Barbara
  • Morning folks, thats my Caulies up image Still no Aquilegia though image Hoping they are just being lazy.

Won't be long now Sam. I haven't been out to look yet.

• I know image You have experience with Aquilegia Nutcutlet dont you? Do they take a while to germinate?

Compared to annuals they do take longer. I'll go out and have a look in the greehouse after another cup of coffee. I was hoping that with the sun out the snow would be off the roof by now and it would be warm enough for coffee out there.