aqueligia problems

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Last year I had some aqueligia's and they did pretty well, seeded and grew really well over the winter, then suddenly they have all died off, and a few that are left look like this ?

I noticed at the base of one of the plants it looked a bit slimy. 

Such a shame, I really love these plants. I'm not sure it is mildew that is spreading across the country, but maybe it is. 

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you. x

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,305

Info here on the Downy Mildew affecting aquilegias http://www.touchwoodplants.co.uk/aquilegia-downy-mildew-spring-plants.htm

I really hope it's not that - fingers crossed.

I've got quite a few of the Touchwood Aquilegias - they appear healthy so far image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Oh what a shame they were all grown from seed... A neighbour 3 doors up all hers are fine.  I wonder where it came from them.

I'll remove any sign of them tomorrow.

Am I right thinking I wont be able to have these now as the ground will be infected ?

Some of my plants do suffer with mildew as on light sandy soil.  Other than water and mulch can I do anything to prevent it ?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,622

Burn all infected plants.

There is nothing available to the amateur gardener to treat the aquilegia mildew.image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3