Forum home Fruit & veg

Can you grow Broccoli in tubs?

Has anyone grown Broccoli in tubs,if so what size container and how many to a pot.

• BoaterBoater Posts: 241

According to http://eartheasy.com/raised-beds-soil-depth-requirements.html they need 12-18" of soil depth - I would have expected more, but there you go, it might be possible!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,085

I think the difficulty with growing tall brassicas such as broccoli, kale and Brussels sprouts in tubs and raised beds is that the soil/compost tends to be loose and the plants suffer from windrock - if you can sort out some sort of firm support for them then they'll probably do fine.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I'm growing Broccoli this year for the first time, or more correctly my 5 year old son is. You can grow them in a deep trough but that means being assiduous with watering. As a Brassica you will get lots of interesting caterpillars...

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,764

Haha.. 'interesting' wouldn't be my first choice of words for those sort of caterpillars that enjoy brassicas.  

Utah, USA.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,764

Consider kohlrabi as an alternative/addition.  It's a brassica, will likely do a lot better in your deep container than broccoli.  I enjoy mine raw in a salad.. reminds me of a cross between cabbage leaf and broccoli stem in taste, but also stir-fries great or cooks soft in a soup, etc.  It will also collect those 'interesting' caterpillars.  

Utah, USA.