Thuja Plicata turned red

Hi

I planted 6 Thuja Plicata 30cm plants a year ago, one of them has turned red a few months ago, the rest are fine.

It's the same height as the other plants and looks healthy apart from the colour. It has also got a green child and abnormally thin base (see pictures).

What is going on, shall I leave it as it is or cut off the child

?
Thanks

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,125

I have a thuya a lot older than that and it did the same thing. The reddish bit died and the new bit grew up but it was a bit of a funny shape. Then another new bit grew up and it's like two trees planted very close together. Your thin stem is a bit strange though. I would be inclined to try and find another of similar size and dig up your red one. It would look better, as there are six, if they were the same.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,256

Agree Busy-Lizzie. I don't see much of a future for that one. 

• TanTan Posts: 8

Thanks for your replies. I'll probably give it one more chance and check again in summer.

How quickly did yours grow, does it need to be trimmed at this age ? Ideally I want it to become a solid wall, 2-3ft high.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,504

The base looks as though the bark had been damaged by something (could a mower or strimmer have stripped it?  Perhaps animal or fungal damage?)  I would cut the red (which is dead) top off, immediately above the green growth, which then has a better chance of taking over as the main stem, although it will probably always have an odd shape.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,125

Sorry, can't remember how quickly it grew, I've had it about 18 years. Mine can't be a plicata because it's not big enough and it's quite neat, it's a single specimen not in a hedge. But it is a Thuja. The good thing about Thuja plicata is it does what a Leylandii does but you can keep it pruned to the size you want and you can prune into the old wood. But I expect you know that already, it's probably why you chose it. The RHS site says it's quick growing.