bullfinches!

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,214

Well, I'd resigned myself to the frost that is coming tonight and I was prepared to lose yet another year's crop of plums but I looked outside this morning to see our resident pair of bullfinches doing a little more than just hanging around waiting for their breakfast of sunflower hearts. They were going over the branches and have stripped virtually every blossom from the Blenheim Orange apple tree. It's not as if we don't bribe them enough to stay off the fruit trees.

Grrrrrrrrrrimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606

Oh dear! image  It's years since I've seen a bullfinch ...

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,214

You can have mine. We have three pairs around here - more than enoughimage

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,999

I'd say you are lucky to have them as they are a beautiful bird, but I think I'll save it for another day...image

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,214

They are beautiful and I do consider myself to be "lucky" to see them in the garden. Just sometimes I wonder why I bother to have hope. It's the hope that kills me.image

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,999

I know pansy, lots of people hate squirrels, I quite like seeing them run around the garden, but I'm not so keen when they are eating my bulbs.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,051

Bullfinches are rather beautiful but such destructive little sods. Reminds me of reality TV "stars". Niger seeds seem to keep them occupied but apple blossom still seems to be one of their five-a-day.