Forum home Fruit & veg

growing berries in a raised bed

I’am total novice to gardening but wanted to start growing berries. I have created a raised bed of 5.4 meters length and 1 meter width and was planning to plant there 1 bush of blackberries, 1 bush of gooseberry and the rest with raspberry together with wild strawberries in that order. I know that now is not a good time to plant blackberry or raspberry so decided to just leave the space for now and plant only the gooseberry and wild strawberries. How much space do I need to give to each and can I plant wild strawberries together with raspberries? I have read somewhere that blackberry doesn't like to grow next to strawberries, is a gooseberry between will solve that problem? Also - Its probably to late to think about it once my bed is created but is 1 meter width enough for them?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,067

The main issue with raspberries is that they send runners in random directions so can pop-up anywhere within the bed.  However, you can just pull them up if they appear in (say) the middle of your gooseberry bush.  If you could put some kind of vertical barrier (eg weed control membrane) within the soil of the raised bed, you could perhaps section-off some of the bed and restrict the raspberries to that area.  A gooseberry bush will grow to about 1m x 1m and strawberries need about 30cm x 30cm each but you can often get away with a bit less in a raised bed.  Blackberries mainly need vertical growing space and most varieties need some support such as trellis to tie them in to.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I agree but I do grow mine close together they grow and fruit OK,for the gooseberries and if your growing redcurrants, whitecurrants and you can buy pink currants watch out for gooseberry & currant saw fly catapillas.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    They don't seem to go for blackcurrants.
  • Thank you Bob, I can still easily put in vertical barrier as I haven't fill it in yet. That's why I asked how much space I should give to each variety so I know where to put them - do you think 1.8 m each would be ok? Especially worried about the blackberry - I read online that blackberry needs a lot of space.

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I would have thought that was a waste of a raised bed. Blackcurrants and so on will do well in normal beds, with compost thrown on each year. Use the raised beds for root veg, leaves, and so on. Of course if you have no soil, or it is rubble, then a raised bed would make sense.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,754

Blackberry doesn't need much space around it, but it does need lots sideways and above. It would be best planted in the middle of the long side of your raised bed, either against a fence/wall or given some trellis or other support. Train the new canes out to the sides in a shallow fan shape and cut off any that grow forward into the other plants. If the tips of the canes touch the ground they will root, so you could easily grow a new plant either side of the original for no extra cost!

• I created a raised bed because my soil is clay and very water logged. Don't want to grow anything else apart from those four berries: gooseberry, wild strawberry, blackberry and raspberry - just wanted to know how much space for each.

• thank you buttercupdays - I have trellis prepared for raspberries and blackberries image

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I also have clay soil, and it can get waterlogged. I dug in lots of compost then planted currants, rhobard and raspberries. Seems okay! However, since that's all you want to grow, I hope they do well.

Be careful with wild strawberries, they spread like wild fire. They make very good ground cover in shady areas.

• BoaterBoater Posts: 241

Strawberries will grow in pots, and trailing varieties in hanging baskets - if you find you are short of space you can always evict the strawberries later and transplant to pots where-ever you have space. Lots of information about on growing strawberries 'vertically' (I haven't tried it) using pots with openings at different heights or laying an old pallet at an angle and using the spaces between the slats and other wild ideas for maximising the number of strawberry plants in minimal footprint in the garden.

Also check the soil types required for the different plants, for some reason I have it in my head that raspberries like their soil slightly acidic so dividing the bed into bays may be prudent!