Trimming Young Leylandii

snowyysnowyy Posts: 26

I planted some sixty 1ft leylandii plants in September 2014 with the aim to grow a thick dense hedge. Now that we have had some sun they are starting to grow well but I'm not sure about how to trim them or if I should. I hear that they trimming them in early spring can make the plant send out more side shoots and make it more dense but should I be trimming a young small leylandii or should I wait until it has started to form a hedge and say 4ft tall? I planted them 2ft apart so hopefully they will form a good strong hedge fast. Am I right in thinking that by not trimming them I would be restricting their growth because trimming them sends them into survival mode and can make them grow 3ft a yaer.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783

I think about two inches above the soil would be ideal for leylandii.  

Just kidding.. image  I'm sure someone will come along and give you some excellent advice soon.  

Utah, USA.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,942

I have always understood that conifer hedges should be allowed to grow to 6 to 12 inches - 15 to 30cms - above the final desired height and only then be cut to the same distance below the desired height.    They will then thicken up and can be trimmed once a year to keep them neat.

Trimming the sides is a good idea to help them make dense growth but don't cut into brown wood, just do regular, light trims of the two sides.  Do not trim between the plants or you'll just get a row of columns.

When you do trim the sides, do it at a very slight angle tapering inwards towards the top.  This helps them shed heavy snow in bad winters and saves them from having bent and broken branches.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw