Forum home Fruit & veg

asparagus beds

iv'e got a sparrow grass bed on my new allotment and I have been told it's not been very good in the past and only produces a few spears,(it was great with my dinner tonight) image my question is what can I do to improve this bed for the future ,iv'e no idea how to look after this bed but any help would be most wellcome.

DD

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,764

It depends on answers you probably don't know.  

How old is the bed?  If it's only a year or two old, then it's still getting it's stride.  If it's 20+ years it's probably due for a replacement.  

What type is it?  The 'all male' varieties are much better croppers, as they aren't spending energy producing seeds.

A few things that you can do:  If the stems are extremely thin, like pencil thin, don't pick any more.  The plant needs energy to grow and collect sunlight to store in the roots.  Feed, weed, and lightly mulch.

Utah, USA.
  • derbyduckderbyduck Posts: 137

I don't know how old it is ,but my wife as told me it is french because it's purple ,the stems are quite thin and iv'e left at least 3 or 4 on the plants that I can devine . what would you feed with ?  

DD

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,764

I'd give it a good drink of compost tea.  Fill up a bucket 2/3 with compost and let it soak for about three weeks.  Give it a good stir and strain it into a watering can to water your asparagus with.  Nettles and/or comfrey work great, if you have them.. but there are all sorts of good 'recipes' out there on the internet.  Adding banana skins and egg shells and garlic cloves, etc.  Not sure the science behind it (does the calcium really leach out of the egg shells?  is it in a usable form for the plant/soil?  etc).  Also, a side dressing of Fish, Blood, and Bone meal tickled into the soil probably won't go amiss either.  

Utah, USA.
  • derbyduckderbyduck Posts: 137

Thanks Blue iv'e got all those apart from the nettles, i'll get on it at the weekend.