Forum home Talkback

Pieris

Hello, I need some advice on my pieris japonica image . It's got very tall and leggy, I've pruned out all the thin shoots and deadwood and it's now like this! Would I kill it reducing down by half ? I have fed it now and mulch but feel it needs a better cutting.

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Hmm.

I'd take a third off, down to strong growth.

Then do more next year.
  • I did mine last summer as it had grown out over lawn. I think it rejuvenated it as it sprouted lots of shoots from the woody stems and is  lot bushier now. 

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,785

I think I'll try that on mine too, although mine is much smaller but also leggy. I'm persevering with it for sentimental reasons so worth a go...

• Flora rosaFlora rosa Posts: 258

Thanks guys, was cogitating all last night and will cut it back - will do the front ones by half this year, and then the other stems next spring . Thanks for all your advice. Do love this shrub image

• steephillsteephill Posts: 1,064

You can hard prune pieris successfully. Cut it down to about a foot high. Now is the best time to do it. It will respond with vigorous growth and probably won't flower again fir a couple of years. Might be a good time to think about relocating it.

• Flora rosaFlora rosa Posts: 258

And lo, the deed is done .. Gulp, have cut the front few branches and left a back row . All fed and FHM'd , fingers crossed but yes! I have every faith it will come back