Forum home Talkback

Spring Bulbs in Pots

I currently have daffs & tulips in terracotta pots.    I want to grow geraniums in the same pots.   Should I remove the bulbs first or can I plant the geraniums on top of the bulbs when the bulb foliage has died back??

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

I would wait until the foliage has completely died back, then take out the bulbs and store them somewhere cool and dark until Autumn.

That way you get full use from the container. Little early to be planting out new bedding anyway image

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Once the flowers have gone over I usually take out all the bulbs and replant them in the garden for next year and so far nothing has gone wrong. It also allows me to fill gaps before all the perennials come up.

• PennyjanePennyjane Posts: 11

Thank you both.    I was going to reuse them for next Spring in the containers but perhaps I should plant in the garden as on some sites it says they wont be as good in containers the following year?     

I was hoping to be lazy and leave the bulbs in the pots and just plant the geraniums over the top in May.   I never keep bedding geraniums - I just use them for one summer - so then the bulbs would be in situ for the autumn!!!!    

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

You can leave them in the pots, but they need a good feed to keep them going Penny. A handful of FBB well watered in will help.

Thanks Dave.   I will at least try this time.   Can always do something different next year.   But you have reassured me image