Completely new to veg growing

hollie hockhollie hock Posts: 3,340

Hi all,

Didn't think it would happen..... imagebut will be having a go at veggies next year.image

The plot will be 10ft(L) and 6ft(W) in a really sunny spot. I want to grow something easy and generally low maintenance but most of all something that I can go out and get and then cook it

I love sugar snaps but i find they are a bit too much money to buy in the supermarkets. Onions, I use a lot of so think these would be good as well.

Are these easy vegs to start off with? Any advice about what seeds to get? There's so many different types/varieties

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,619

Do you like French beans - they're quite easy if you grow the dwarf ones. image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

Choose things that are expensive in supermarket. That's how I started. You could look at square foot gardening as well. i think there was a series in GW. carol Klein has something in her book as well.

I found it easier to do 2 square foot gardening. 

Dam can't find it at momentimage

beetroot are good, lovely fresh and easy to grow

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Dove; I have always found that French Beans really like it hotimage. Whereas Runner Beans don't seem to be that fussed.

Jackie frost; Lettuce, rocket, carrots (which are cheap to buy, but home grown are delish)

If I had space I would grow globe artichokes - I did when I first moved here and one plant took up almost all the veg space, it was 6' tall and 6'wide at least. So it had to go. But one plant produces a lot. Also asparagus would be nice. Tomatoes are fun to grow if the summer is half way good.

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,673

Go for runner beans you get loads for your money and much better taste than shops polestar great variety, but ones with white flowers the bees go to first eaiser for them to see the flowers I gess.

Try getting your seeds from somewhere like a potato festival if one near where you are or seed swap where they are not too much money. I went to a potato festival and they do half pint cups of seeds that you put in a plastic bag for just £2 a scoop which is quite a lot of seeds.

Cucumbers are nice if you like them to grow and potatoes you can even grow them in bags as well as the ground, sweetcorn takes a while to grow but taste good.

Pick veg you like to eat though if not wasted or sell to others

• hollie hockhollie hock Posts: 3,340

Have consulted OH who will be creating this space, and have been informed that "Of course we will be growing runner beans"image- so thanks gardengirl and artjak  for the infoimage. Very useful. I have been informed that we will also be growing some tatties.

Dove- I've not heard of French beans before, they look do look nice and tasty.The plot is one of the sunniest places in the garden (if the sun shone).

Bjay(?)Tinkle- that's why I've been thinking about sugar snaps, I love them but there is no way I'm going to pay £1.50-£2 for just one fork full of themimage Square foot gardening is something I will be looking into.

artjak- I've never eaten a globe artichoke and would struggle probably to name one if I saw itimageimage but it's size as you describe it would rule it out,now if that was Cosmos Purity plant.......

unfortuneltly I do not like fresh tomatoes at allimage. There was a point in my life that I couldn't even bear them to be on my plate. Real shame as I think they are really easy to grow if there was some sun.

I've only had a garden for 2 years and have only grown flowers, feels like I'm embarking on a whole new worldimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Best of luck and don't forget soft fruit; gooseberries, black, red and white currents, raspberries, strawberries etc.

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,673

Blue Lake french beans are good climbing bean sometimes get more for money with climbing bean up a wigwam than a dwarf one especially as slugs got my dwarf ones - but dwarf ones come in yellow and purple as well as green.

You should try purple podded peas - I tried them this year grew well and great for picking as stand out well - you need to sow lots of seeds of peas as you do not get as many as runner beans and put net or string up the wigwam for peas to grow as they are like sweet peas and cling on to the string/ net.

Grow flowers near your veg to attract the bees to get the veg growing.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

I think as it is your first year you should choose more simple things. Spuds I find are best grown in bags or giant pots as they take up so much space in the ground.

6 x 10 is not that large a space. Make a plot plan with planting distances

There is a courgette called 'Venus' T&M that takes up very lttle space , is tasty and one of the things I grew when I had very littlespace. Runner beans I still grow over a decorative arch - looks good and if there are only 2/3 of you you really don't need huge quantities of pants eg  6 runner bean plants, still leaves plenty for freezing as well.

Will talk to you some more tomorrow

Bjay

PS - It is a whole new worldimage, but same rules apply on the whole - water, warmth, feed, eatimage

• imageGet a good gardening book to refer to and also refer to this handy site for information.Start with easy veg and fruit and before long you will be expert,The main thing is to enjoy what your doing and learn from your mistakes(you will make some) and ask those who garden locally to you to give you advice on the growing conditions of your area.(good way of making friends).and  of course always enjoy a hot cuppa while viewing your results.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,619

Remember that veg and flower growing isn't really that different.  

If you're growing something for it's fruit, flowers or seeds ( e.g.tomatoes, cauliflowers, peas) then you cultivate it as you would a flowering plant.

If you're growing something for it's leaves or roots (e.g. lettuce, cabbage, beetroot etc) then just imagine it's a foliage plant. image

Seemples (so they tell me) image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !