The Year of the Slug

Have just seen Mathew Oates of the National Trust on BBC News website talking about winners and losers after the extreme weather conditions of the last 12 months. Apparently the slug loved 2012 for the rain and enough warmth to keep it happy, whereas bees didn't have enough warmth. Fungi found it too chilly also. He concludes that we haven't had a decent summer since 2006 and we really deserve to have one soon!image

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

Oh wonderful. Roll on a hot summer, but just enough rain to help the plants! not enough to grow slugs, white fly, blight etcimage

Hey Artjak - Santa brought me a bright pink wheelbarrowimage

Bjay

• budlia63budlia63 Posts: 141

Love the idea of bright pink barrow Tinkling but haven't space to wheel it now.  Yes slugs and snails have had a feast this year i think it's time for pellets now before they start breeding again.  I tried everything- including homemade garlic solution in  a spray which had some success but didn't cope later in the season.  hot spring/summer would be great 2013 as i have a milestone birthday to celebrate image

• I read in the Times (font of all knowledge paper) that the Spanish giant slug has done the dastardly deed of breeding with our native slug and now even  a bigger threat looms,will it be bigger slug pellets,tanker sized pots of beer to drown in,or will the french come to our rescue and pickle them.Hope they don't find their way to my kitchen.image

• In a book I had for Xmas it gave a recipe for slug/garlic  solution. Thought i may try it, some success Bud, is better than no success.
    • Bjay
  • I have tried a strong solution of garlic it spray and it did work to a degree but slugs will be slugs and they are crafty little gritters.image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Tinkling...my thoughts are with you and your wheelbarrow...and my mind boggles when I read on another thread that you are keeping it in the kitchen. It is so good to know that other forum users know how to prioritise!image

Budlea63; do you think it is worth using pellets this early in the year?

Well don't want it dirty - not yetimage

Tinkling, could you share this garlic recipe with the rest of us?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,716

What Tinkling has kept quiet is that the pink wheelbarrow in the kitchen is full to the gunwales with sausage rolls, mince pies and chocolate log image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !