Forum home Talkback

misletoe

Hi, This is my first time of asking any question. Is it possible to plant misletoe myself, and if it is how do i do it, looking forward to an answer. from Cedric.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

No-you cant plant it in the conventional sense-it is a parasite and grows in trees-you can often see mistletoe now, high up in leafless trees

To get it to grow is quite a hit and miss affair-this probably explains it better than I can

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3345933/Mistletoe-How-to-grow.html

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,630

Hi ChrissieB i just looked at the how to grow site, the missletoe is a must to try  for the future, cheers for that Alan

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,630

Should have said  Santa Monoica sorrimageimage Alan

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Alanimage-it was meimage

EDIT-You've noticed nowimageimage

• if you are like my late father in law,you have an old apple tree to which you place a couple of mistletoe berries into a slit in the bark and bingo you have if your lucky a bunch of kissing boughs,of course you have to squeeze the berries a little,that's how they stick to the tree.imagegood luck.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I've had several goes at mistletoe but no luck yet. One of the problems is that those white Christmas berries aren't ripe. Even when I sent for them at the right time from an ad I saw in a garden magazine, no go. but that was one of the hottest summers for a while and they probably dried out. I haven't given up the idea.

•  Mistletoe can be grown by simply squashing a berry onto a host tree, usually an apple tree but you can do this on around 200 species of tree. But be aware that mistletoe is a parasite and can damage or kill the host tree if over colonised.

• Apples best but i often wonder if silver birch or beach would be good as they are hosts to many fungi.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,502

I remember hearing that different strains of misletoe grow best on specific trees - i.e. if  your misletoe grew on an apple tree then the seeds should be 'planted' on an appletree.  If it came from a poplar then it will grow best on poplar.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh