What's in flower this Christmas

Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

Hi all

I started this thread as I have just taken a photo of a little rose growing in a chimney liner. It has struggled all summer and now is flowering its socks off

- A true Christmas rose

Sorry about picture very dark and raining here today

Bravo!!! A real survivor... Congratulations! (And tell people your secret)

• I say that looks really happy in that pot,I have seen a few roses blooming  including my own small climbing rose which is growing through my pyracantha.image

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

No secret, just planted it in usual mix compost, soil and horse pooh and left it to it. No flowers on it all summer so I thought maybe the damp didn't suit it. it's not sheltered so......image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,097

What a pretty little rose. Had a look round today, but nothing actually in flower here apart from a few violas in pots and buds on a viburnum tinus.

• viburnum x bodnantense dawn are great in the winter

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,244

Left overs include achillea, knifophia, erysimum, Daphne 'Eternal Fragrance' and the last few cyclamen hederifolium, the last are in their 5th month of flowering. More seasonally we have, Mahonia (I think it's 'Charity'), Viburnums x bodnantense and tinus, primroses and cyclamen coum. Lots of catkins swelling, garrya, hazels, birch and alder. I cut alder and some field maple with the wings still on to make the Christmas 'tree'. This will be done when I get round to it.

Disappointments are Loniceras frangrantissima and x purpusii which haven't even got flower buds. 

Shortest day soon, after that it's spring.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,490

The shortest day (December 21st, the Winter Solstice) is actually the first day of Winter.  Spring begins on the Vernal Equinox (meaning the length of the day and night are equal), which is on March 20th.  For completeness, Summer begins on June 21st, the Summer Solstice, when the Sun reaches it's highest point in the sky and Autumn begins on September 22nd (Autumnal Equinox) when day and night are again of equal length.  Lots of interesting stuff including folkore about seasons and scientific explanations of why the day/night aren't exactly equal on the Equinoxes here:

http://www.almanac.com/content/first-day-seasons

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,244

That's theoretical spring. My spring will be when  can go out without a coat, the birds are nesting and all manner of things are germinating.

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

Once that first snowdrop is out my Spring has sprung image.

Lovely roses BJay - that's made me want to go outside tomorrow and see if I have anything in flower.