North-facingborder

I have just established a narrow, raised north-facing border against a wall. It gets the sun in the morning and evening at this time of year. Good topsoil and , I hope godraining age. Any suggestions for climbing or perennial plants, please?

• Jude14Jude14 Posts: 8

...sorry , that should have said 'good drainage'!

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Some Clematis and climbing roses will tolerate a north wall although the latter still require some sun, perhaps not the hottest part of the day but it does depend on type of shade

climbing hydrangea is great in dense shade but it's beefy when it settles in

Can't go wrong with ferns for most soils, hostas,  especially blue ones but they are hungry fellas , euphorbia for all heights and sizes and also hercheras give amazing colour 

Many woodland plants and bulbs if the seasonal changes are what blocks light 

I'm no expert but the above has worked for me 

Thank you for your suggestions, which are different to those I thought of.

it was good to think of seasonal variation as well....

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,637

I have winter honeysuckle, and Chocolate Vine on my north facing wall,  Foxgloves although not climbers can also give height.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,465

I have 2 clematis on a north wall, Jean Paul II, which was amazing last year and Perle d'Azur which grows on a north wall in Sissinghurst garden.

As for perennials, Wintersong has given a good selection, I would add Brunnera Jack Frost and Pulmonarias.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,254

Primulas too and hakonechloa grass.  I have hellebores in a north facing bed that gets some sun form April to September but none at all from October to March.

Mine is a damp bed so also astilbes, stilboides, ligularia, chelone, hostas big and small, Japanese anemones, ferns but for your raise dbed you could also try snowdrops, lily of the valley, daffs, pûlmonaria, aquilegia, hemerocallis, hardy fuchsias, bergenia.  

Good roses would be Falstaff, Golden Showers, New Dawn all of which repeat.   Any number of clematis will love it as long as you feed them generously every spring with proper clematis food.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 250

Sarcococca does well; although it prefers deep shade it will thrive in places such as yours which get morning or afternoon sun...just make sure it doesn't get too dry.  Solomon's seal is another good plant.  I also like jasmine (nudiflorum) and skimmia japonica works too.  Depends how big your area is, but I had an aruncus that was absolutely stunning at my last place - 2 m x 1.5 m and these amazing racemes of white/cream flowers.  That had sun only from around 3.30 p.m. in the summer but never failed.

Lovely lot of suggestions. I already have some hostas and have split some acorus grass to see how that gets on. I do need to establish some height, so the above are very useful. The bed is not that wide except at the corners where it does get more sun.

i like the idea of ferns in the most shady part, and jasmine would be great, but that's going to need sun.

i'll let you know how I get on. Thanks All.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,195

I have a long shady border - several varieties of Clematis alpina are very happy there, flowering their socks off at the moment image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Good to know about Clematis Alpina. Just the ticket!