rocket leaves

I grew some rocket from seed, they now have a few decent leaves and I am pruning off when the leaves get large.  It has been about 4-5 weeks since I sowed.  But recently, some of the smaller leaves are wilting and turning white.  What is the cause of this?  

I suspect it may be overwatering as this is my first go at growing and I have been too fussy and attentive of the plants and some other plants started to get yellowing leaves so I have stopped watering for the past 5 days.

• Hello, I have grown rocket before and from my experience I grew them in cell trays and only watered them when the compost was feeling dry to touch! I never pruned the outer leaves until i had planted them out, and then if you have a few plats harvest from one plant and let it recover, when they are out in the ground water 2-3 times a week and feed once a week to encourage leafy growth, I so hope this helps and you get some results from it all! That reminds me I need to sow some rocket! image  

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

Probably overwatering. Rocket needs regular moisture in warm weather. Without it the leaves can become bitter and the plant can bolt. I always harvest when the leaves are on the small side. The larger they grow, the coarser the flavour, I've found.

• mamehamameha Posts: 40

I have three rockets, but I find I can only harvest one leaf at a time.  They tend to have one big leaf (4-5 inches) and then progressively smaller ones.  So I just take the big leaf off each, giving me 3 leaves to eat which seems a bit pointless.  

Are they going to get bigger?  I have them in troughs with about 10 inchs space for each rocket.

Rocket is "cut and come again" so more leaves will emerge. That said, if you want to harvest regularly you really need more than three plants. The spacing is okay, how deep is your soil? Rocket is at its best grown quickly so regular feeding with a nitrogen-based fertiliser will help.

The soil depth is about 5-6 inches.

OK I have tomato, lawn and roses feed, which is best?  lawn?

I will give it a water+feed once a week from now on.

That depth is okay. Is it well drained? None of those fertilisers really have the level of nitrogen that will give greens a serious boost. They also have no use for the P and K components. I use a dedicated nitrogen liquid fertiliser made from ox blood with the N component into double figures. 

ok will try to buy some N feed, thanks for yr help.