Forum home Talkback

"The Blues"

Usually associated with sadness it is however  arguable that BLUE is the most important colour in the garden, always ignoring the green of the foliage of course.

It is the only colour which goes with any other colour, whether hot reds, oranges and yellows, or the cooler pinks, lilacs etc., not to mention white or green as well.

Some people maintain that there aren't many true blues in the garden! However we shall see.

Which "blues" are important to you?

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

Love 'blues Woody.

The most 'stand out' blue ive had was the 'senetti?' last year (flowered for ages too). Also in flower now ; brunnera and forget me nots. Blue hydrangeas are special and of course PD or KEF will vote for mecanopsis. image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,238

Lithodora diffusa "Heavenly Blue" - flowering nowimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,393

I love brunnera at this time of year. As pretty as forget-me-nots but longer lasting and much better behaved (ie don't seed everywhere). The foliage of varieties such as Jack Frost and Looking Glass also give interest for many months of the year.

Also love cornflowers and nigella. Last year I grew a really deep-inky-blue nigella - beautiful - hope it has self seeded.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,660

I love the clear blues of early Spring - the grape hyacinths, anemone blanda, the first flowers of Brunnera, the forget-me-nots and Lithodora. Camassias and true bluebells bring in summer, when I love the misty blues of lavenders and catmint, the lilac blues of campanulas and scabious. I have just recently found that agapanthus work here too, though I haven't yet had the courage to leave them out to face one of our winters, and they are glorious, but delphiniums have to be the champions. Every shade from palest lavender to deepest indigo, with clear sky blues and electric blues inbetween: if only it were less windy here, I'd have the lot! But an honourable mention for the surprising little kingfisher daisy, Felicia. I've also recently gone mad on Salvias and 'African Sky' is beautiful.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,650

At the moment Omphalodes cappadocica looks wonderful in a shady border, really shines out.

A few weeks ago Corydalis flexuosa looked good in a similar location.

Always look forward to the Delphiniums

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

this is my star of the garden at the moment, ceanothusimage

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783

I love the blue/indigo of Lupine.  I grew a bunch once in highschool in the back yard in our veggie garden one year.. my dad was rather concerned for a while as he thought they were marijuana, until they bloomed.  Didn't help as I had thrown away the seed packet (that a friend had given me) and couldn't remember the name.  

Utah, USA.
  • Fantastic response everyone. I love all your "blues" too, and grow many of them. Keep 'em coming please. 

What about the combinations you love, which "blues" make a big contribution, tying everything together.

A big thank you, so far.image