Forum home Talkback

sunflower seeds problem

Could anyone inform me why my sunflower seeds are coming up root first 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,635

They won't be doing that - is it because the shoot is white that it looks like a root?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,635

Just pop them into moist compost Pauline - and stand well back image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Jason, I know what you mean.   I have occasionally had that problem with large seeds, and I think it was because I didn't plant them deep enough to hold the seed steady in the soil.   The root comes up and the leaves stay down in the soil, is that what you mean?

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

It happens if the seeds are in a bag or propagator with a lid. The roots will try to get back down into the soil but you are best to get a pencil and put the seeling in the right way.

• Jason millyJason milly Posts: 533
    Yes oneofseven I just turned them around . And blairs I have them in a propagtor your spot on .
  • Hi Jason

This is what I usually do and yes they can start shooting from the top of the seed

plant the sunflower seeds in a pot and water them. the soil needs to be kept moistyou can plant straight into the garden but germination takes longer Usually within 5 days the seeds should produce a shoot from the top of the seed.This shoot then attaches into the soil and then the seed husk itself will be at the top of the shoot this will come off and reveal two small leaves.the plant then carries on growing and the stem will be very thin. the stem will start to thicken up after a few days and will have very fine hairs on it.When its about 4 inches high you can transplant it into the garden.make sure you water it on a regular basis.Make sure that you use slug pellets around the plant to stop slugs eating it.Make sure you place the pellets slightly away from the plant or you will find the slugs have a go at the plant before getting killed of by the slug pellets.The sunflower will grow quite quick and the stem will thicken up and the hairs on the stem will feel very rough.When it is about 5 ft the head will start to form.This will grow larger and at this stage the plant will cease to grow taller.I have had plants that the longer the head starts to grow the higher the stem will grow

Happy Growing