Forum home Talkback

Worried!

Hi all

I might be worrying unnecessarily - so hoping you can put my mind at rest!

As some of you may remember I am a complete novice and agreed to grow some flowers for my friend to use on her tables at her wedding reception on June 20th this year.

I've planted some sweetpeas - started off indoors on my windowsill propagator. I planted them outside in tubs with canes and pea nets a few weeks ago BUT they don't seem to have grown an awful lot since being outside......I'm worried that i won't have flowers for her!!!!!image 

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,662

I wouldn't worry to much, they will need a bit of time to establish themselves,  apparently don't like root disturbs as well.  I be surprised if you dont have any flowers by 20th June. 

It is cold a night where I live -3 C last inside the greenhouse image so you will have to be carefully of hard frost even though sweet peas are quite hardy. 

• Hi all

Thanks - I live waaaaay down south image Bournemouth.

What else should I be planting for a 'back up'? She wants only pale colours and whites for her tables - any help GRATEFULLY received!!!

Don't have photos at the mo as just about to pop out but might be able to get some later this week.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233

Congratulations for your footy team Amy, if you follow it image

• Yes - that's what I thought Verdun - perhaps I did disturb their roots too much when I planted them out - even though I used peat pots.

I have cosmos seeds - should I abandon that idea and buy some plants instead do you think?

Thanks Fishy65 - I don't follow the footy myself but my husband is the head groundsman at AFC Bournemouth and i svery proud of his pitch and his team image

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

Please forgive me for being a bit bah humbug-gy but I don't get this new trend of growing your own flowers for your wedding.  Unless you are prepared to take your chances with failure (and so many brides aren't), it seems quite foolhardy.  Are other people also  growing flowers or does the whole thing ride with you? I know this is your good friend but it seems a bit selfish and certainly poor planning to have your wedding reception flowers completely dependent on a self-described novice gardener.  My uncle is a professional landscaper  and when he offers to "do our flowers" for our weddings (He did  mine in 2012) he meant he would buy flowers at a wholesaler and arrange them for me (which he did beautifully.)    I hope your friend is appreciative of your efforts regardless of the results!  It shows a lot of love and caring to make the attempt.  And best of luck with your flowers. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,280

You could buy trays of sweet peas already grown, I saw some at Heligan today, really thick and bushy about a ft tall.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120

Hi Amy.  If I may offer a cheeky suggestion, how about checking out the gardens of friends, family or nice neighbours to see if they have any established shrubs which could do with a bit of a prune.

I'm thinking of white variegated foliage to help bulk up your arrangements if you're short of flowers come the day. If you're lucky someone may have a lilac they don't mind sharing. Google says it flowers late spring to early summer.