Forum home Wildlife gardening

Which weeds do you tolerate

I planted a privet hedge at the front, and plants grow beneath it. I also planted some Cotoneaster franchettii at the side, to feed the birds. The problem is that weeds pop up underneath. So, which are okay? Creeping buttercup, chickweed and dandelions are a no no. But I am tempted to leave forget me not and eyebright. I'm getting lots of pearlwort, which I remove, odd stuff. Thoughts? Maybe I should just plant Vinca and let it out compete anything else. 

Obviously the danger of leaving some is that they seed, and it gets harder to change my mind, and remove them next year. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,092
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

I leave a few Herb Robert as they are so pretty. The draw back is that they seed around like mad and I have to weed out most of them. I would always leave the Forget-me-Nots as I love them and my mum gave me mine many years ago.

• GillianBCGillianBC Posts: 121

I deliberately let the forget-me-nots self-seed, I have a big clump in full bloom at the moment and they're so lovely I've put some in a little vase in the house.  I also like daisies in my lawn, but not dandelions though they look amazing in all the grass verges on my drive to work at the moment.  Wild violets seem to seed in my lawn and a carefully rescue a few for other places.  Arum italicum (lords and ladies) is another native one that springs up and looks great in my shady bits.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,281

It depends on you style of gardening too. I've got a more formal bit near the house as there is a stone terrace going down the hillside (made from the flagstone floors by the previous owners), but the rest is more cottagey and even wild. I find self seeders and many wild flowers useful to ease the transition between the formal part and the rest. I have everything you list except the arum and love them all, even the dandelions!  These last are cut regularly for the guinea pigs, the geese and chickens eat them, and the goldfinches love the seeds and go round most methodically eating them, lovely to watch. I also have herb robert (a magnet for butterflies) welsh poppies, and red campion, which can make a really showy plant if grown in a border and flowers all summer if cut back occasionally. I even 'tolerate' ground elder between shrubs. It is a case of needs must : the garden is far too big for me to keep up with and I refuse to use weedkillers so I have to accept that I will never get completely on top of it. I do weed it out of my flower borders but the leaves are not unattractive, the flowers are quite pretty and I could always eat it (though I don't like the way it smells). I have rosebay willowherb in some of the wilder parts, and it helps to hold up a steep bank. 

On the other hand, some of my purchased plants are now getting thrown out because they have proved too successful and are spreading too widely!

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

I'm happy to leave the daisies and clover in my lawn, when my daughter was young her pet bunny used to love munching on the clover, now it's just for the bees.

Forget-me-nots are prolific self seeders in my front garden but I just pull up the clumps before they flower when they land somewhere I don't want them, same goes for aquilegia.

For me a weed is something that you don't want growing in your garden, many so called weeds are simply our native plants that thrive in our climate.

I have never met anyone who could love a dandelion image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,272

I'm with Buttercupdays - I have ragwort,forget-me-nots,both red and white dead nettles,yellow nettle (archangel),regular nettles,feverfew,clover. And many of the wildflowers I'm growing in the greenhouse might be regarded as weeds by some gardeners - red and white campion,yarrow,common toadflax,greater knapweed. In the garden there is viper's bugloss,lesser knapweed,kidney vetch,'jack go to bed at noon',musk mallow, lady's bedstraw,cuckoo flower, wood and water avens.

In fact the biggest thug in the garden is probably the heliopsis yellow daises, an import from the north American continent I believe image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,846

I tend my native wild flowers as carefully as I tend the immigrantsimage

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,272

image nut

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,846

Hi Fishyimage

• ecokidecokid Posts: 138

I like Jupiter's beard/red valerian. It can be invasive and look scraggly in the wrong place, but it's easy to dispatch and adds a splash of colour and benefits insects.