Forum home Talkback

seeds

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Hi all, i sowed lupin seeds last autumn and none at all germinated, what did I do wrong? i also sowed foxgloves, 5 germinated I planted out 2 weeks ago bu tthey look small and a bi tpale and unwell, any help appreciated, thanks in advance

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,579

I grow lupins in the Spring, over winter in cold greenhouse and plant out next Spring. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I sowed lupin seeds and foxgloves in a seed tray in autumn and left in my cold frame and had the opposite.  Lupins came up I potted on once and then put outside and they are a bit small but are doing ok in the ground now but no foxgloves at all.  I am not an expert so I don't know why we both failed….

• I've never yet grown lupins from seed I just divide the plants I have.Fox gloves seeds I planted in January took 2months to show and were so small I used a hair grip to pot them on 29/3  The largest of them now look like little plants but I still have them inside  don't think they will be going outside for a while yet.then they can overwinter in the GH till next sping. image  fingers crossed for yours Rosemummy.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

thankyou all, feel slightly better, it's not just me! though... looking at my stocks (mathiola incana) grown from seed similar time, all germinated, overwintered in cold gh planted out a month ago, all look a bit weak, some are flowering already but very small, also I'm still unsure if these are perennials, I', sure in the botanical gardens here theirs are

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,683

I sowed my lupin and hollyhock seeds in June and they were potted on in July and grew them on in pots until they were a decent size and planted them in the garden in early autumn.  They have overwintered fine and hopefully they will flower well this year.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

i think i may have left stocks and foxgloves in shallow cells too long before i plnated out, didn't manage to pot on