overgrown garden help?

vonbonvonbon Posts: 2

Hi 

this is my first post not sure if I am in the right place. 

I have a fairly big overgrown garden. I don't know what to do. When we moved in a year and a hald ago we had some huge conifers and a sycamore cut down to allow some light in. Now we have some rough gras, weeds and brambles. We have a couple of weedy apple trees, an enormous bay tree a damson tree and some other bits and bobs. I am overwhelmed I would like some colour, some lawn perhaps a little wild area at the bottom but where to start? Any advice most welcome. Thanks

von bon

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,449

Hi Vonbon and welcome image

It doesn't really matter where you post - we'll find you image

Can you take some pics of your garden and upload them here - it'll give us a better idea of the size and shape of your garden and your option - to upload a photo you need to click on the green tree icon above where you type your post and follow the instructions image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• vonbonvonbon Posts: 2

Thanks for he reply. 

It's not a small garden but no idea where to start! I believe the soil is quite clay according to neighbours. Also gets a bit boggy it's in a bit of a dip. Thanks Dovefromabove 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,656

Good advice from Edd - once you have worked out your lawn area (or even before if you need a bit more planning time) mow the central bit of grass. It is amazing how just doing that helps make the whole thing look more cultivated. If you have made a definite lawn shape then trim the edges. Then choose one part of your plan to focus on, to get one part finished. It is great incentive to see what you have achieved!

Since you have some plant knowledge, try just to remove known weeds at first to give you time to work out what else is worth keeping, though as you have been there for 18 months you may have some idea already.