Forum home Fruit & veg

Planting out seedlings

LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I had some seedlings in the coldframe, but brought them indoors before the cold snap today. They are: sweetcorn, french bean, chillis (Capsicum annuum, Capsicum frutescens, capsicum chinense). Now these need warmth to germinate. The question is, which of these if any would not suffer if the early morning temperature hit 3C?

I know from experience that most Capsicum will suffer below ~8C so they are staying indoors this week. The coldframe keeps plants about 2C above the outdoor temperature, so maybe 5C minimum. One french bean plant is in the coldframe as an experiment.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,215

I think they're all wussy and would keep them in till the end of the week when this cold snap should be over.  We have a low of 1C forecast for this week which is too cold even in a cold frame unless you can put a blanket or a layer of newspaper or cardboard as extra insulation.

Keep an eye on the forecast just in case it hangs around longer that predicted.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Hmm. Its still a bit cold overnight for these heat lovers.

My car was frosted this morning- risky.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,770

I think they would all suffer, but as the farmers here (Dordogne) have just sown maize, perhaps sweetcorn is the hardiest. Quite cool here at the moment.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Thanks all. We didn't have a frost this morning, it was about 4C outdoors. I was afraid they were all wusses. Oh well.