orchid compost

Janet  2Janet 2 Posts: 114
I bought some verve orchid compost this morning. Came to repot a phalaenopsis but,for want of a better way of putting it, the compost just doesn't look right. Has anyone else used it?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,248

How does it look? Last time I bought some there was a lot of lumpy bark in it, but then orchids grow in trees.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Janet  2Janet 2 Posts: 114
    It's not got lumps of bark in it! :'( . That's what worried me! If there's any it's small slivers,to me it looks similar to ordinary potting compost. The dendrobium that's escaping from its pot might have to wait a bit longer......
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783

I found the same thing.  My shop bought phalaenopsis have always been in a rough bark.. chunky, and large enough to keep from falling out of the holes all along the side and bottom.  But I also recently picked up a bag of compost specifically for phalaenopsis, and it looks like a rough garden compost.. almost soil-ish.  I haven't potted mine on yet either.

A friend of mine grew his on the little clay balls they use in hydroponics(?).. looked like little tiny round terracotta marbles.  They seemed very happy in that.  Looked pretty too.

Utah, USA.
  • I make my own compost.  I go to the woods find an fallen tree and strip off the bark bring it home and dry it in the oven overnight mix in a little charcoal and that's it.

Not sure why the charcoal just remember reading some time ago to add a little.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.