Forum home Fruit & veg

runner beans

Can I grow runner beans in the same place as last year as I am limited to space?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,136

Yes, it won't be a problem.  I try to move mine about a bit but as I'm also limited to space I sometimes end up growing them in the same place two or even three years running.  It can even be adventageous as you would enrich the humus content of the soil before growing them, and two or three year's worth of added compost and manure etc results in really moisture retentive soil which is just what they need. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes runner beans are one of the few crops you can do this with, when they have finished cropping it is worth cutting the top growth off and leaving the roots in as the roots hold nitrogen which is good for when you plant beans the next year.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,102

Providing last year's crop was healthy with no signs of disease, you can grow runner beans in the same place. Or you could grow them in a large planter to give the area a year off.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    With crop rotation plant brasicas after beens because the beans fix nitrogen in the soil and that's what brasicas need.
  •  

If you still do the same as me Edd you must still think it's worthwhile image

• Hello badgersrest

I have a medium sized garden but tend to use crop rotation for growing my runner beans. I use a wigwam as it does not take up much room in my flower bed. I usually have a good crop and always have enough to take in to my work colleagues.You can grow them in the same place without problems. its potatoes that suffer if you grow them in the same area wire worm is the main problem there

happy growing

• Thanks everyone that's good news as my other veg is in a cage - made the mistake of putting beans in the cage the first year and they all escaped through the top!

• No Verdun you don't keep the roots for growing on more beans ,you still plant fresh beans,!!!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,136

Well, you can keep the roots growing for more beans if you want to, and I've heard of people who do - they are perennial (the beans not the people) - but as Verdun says the crops are reported not to be good. 

I find that when I leave the roots in the ground they do regrow the following year and it's a nuisance to keep weeding them out.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh