Making something new/better

Hi all, I'm a new engineer at a garden product manufacturing plant. I am looking for new ideas. I have made many gardening products from my gardening experience. I am not looking for some elses new great idea. Just things that you may or may not like about the things that are out there. It seams like lately I'm spending more time getting cost out of things rather than making things gardeners want. I guess in a nutshell I'm asking if there is anything my industry could be doing better to serve the gardening community. 

• GillianBCGillianBC Posts: 121

1.  Make some terracotta pots that look like the old Victorian pots - the old ones sell for a packet on Ebay, but no-one seems to make the traditional looking ones anymore

2.  Make a mini, hand version of The Garden Claw - there are many imitations out there, but they don't have angled tines and it's the angles that make the difference

3. A razor sharp hand weeding tool to hoe between plants - I've tried using a 1" paint scraper, but they're just not sharp enough

• Gillian, try the Wolf dutch hoe attachment it's really sharp and great for weeding.

• cloud8cloud8 Posts: 101

I'm with gillian on the terracotta pot thing.

4. a better version of hand bulb planters.  The sprung jaws tend to break after a while.  Also be good to have a bulb planter that converted from the long-handled sort that you can use your foot on to the hand one

5. easy, cheap clip-together raised bed corners.  There are already raised bed kits out there with various corner braces, but they come as a complete kit, I just want the ironmongery that will clip 1" thick planks together.  Rather like a double-angle iron with holes at the end to insert screw (a 90 degree angle with another 90 angle welded inside it 1" apart).  If there's some way of making firm corners without any drilling required, that would be a plus.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,440

Spades and forks with handles suitable for tall folk which don't cost about double the price of "normal" sized ones.

Devon.

6. A cheap UK available version of these brick clips - you can buy them on Ebay, but they're very expensive due to US postage costs.  

• Wow Gillian, You should be the engineer. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. What is working out there and what is not. The more I learn about what/how things are used. The better I can respond to those needs. I am just a little fish in a big pond so not sure what I can actually get done but looking at products from the view of the user has got to help. Again, Thank You and keep them coming. 

Thanks, Gardenengineer, I am an engineer of sorts, but unfortunately it's just a software engineer which is of no practical use at all when I'm wanting to attach a plant pot to a brick wall and struggle to drill into masonry.  image

I have a million little notebooks with all sorts of things that start with "I wish someone would make a ..." - all sorts of things that I want but can't make myself.  

Edd, that made me smile - that's just what nails look like when I try to hammer them in

7.  A bag-for-life for plant shopping.  For example, I'm going to Chelsea and Hampton Court this year and will no doubt be buying a few plants and trying to get them back alive on the bus.  They always get damaged in plastic bags.  I need some sort of big bag-for-life with separators in it to stop them falling over.  I've got a couple of the collapsible cardboard wine carriers from Tescos. I'd use such a bag every week as I'm always buying plants at the local market.  Must be light-weight and fold-up-able.

8.  Saddle-bag flower planters.  Some sort of bag with pockets that I can plant up on both sides and simply hang over my fence.  Most of the flowerbags I've tried have been a pain in the backside to plant up

9.  A tumbling compost sifter.  You can get compost bins that are basically a barrel on a spindle that make it easy to turn.  I'd just like a smaller one that has mesh so that I can separate out the woody stuff that needs to go back into the heap for a while

10.  Some means of supporting a branch in a large pot.  I have several weathered old branches that the bark has come off and they look really nice like driftwood.  They're maybe 4' or 5 tall.  I'd like to stick them upright in a pot and grow things up them or even hang things off them, but I can't figure out how to make them stand upright and stable in a pot.  Some sort of adjustable tripod attachment?